6 years 5 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Guido
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hello JomSocial team,

now I finally upgraded my live site after months of waiting and beta trying. I changed the cron to leave all chats before 3 months ago because I had to handle 250.000 chat messages running JomSocial from 2008 on. It looked good at first. Not too many open chats (around 30-50 I would say instead of hundreds per user). But my site got very slow fastly the more users used the new community. I have a dedicated server running two JomSocial communities, around 50-100 users online and nothing can be done anymore.

What I found out is that mod_community_bar is causing these problems as it checks chat messages on every subpage. Where can we set the interval of that module? I would say it looks way too often and does not respect either chat settings or global site settings. Unpublishing that module makes the site a whole bunch faster. I checked the version it is from October 30st, so it already got its update.

If I am right the interval is 1 second

var timer = setInterval(function() {
if ( window.jQuery ) {
clearInterval( timer );
init();
}
}, 1000 );

that would cause many sites to break down checking hundreds of chats. Why don't you use the setting of "other chats"?
My site works good now using the inactive chats value (in my case 60000 miliseconds):

var timer = setInterval(function() {
if ( window.jQuery ) {
clearInterval( timer );
init();
}
}, <?php echo $config->get('message_pooling_time_inactive')*1000; ?>);

And now I am still looking for the right place to change this in the included toolbar. That one still breaks my site.

6 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

How did you set values in Joomla Back-End/JomSocial/Configuration > Chat :
- Checking for new messages in active chat
- Checking for new messages in other chats
?

6 years 5 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Guido
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I set active chat to 30 and inactive to 60. Also I had to downgrade again. The community was still not usable even if toolbar is hidden and mod_community_bar is still on.
Well, I need the mod_community_bar for users to login as they are used to. I think there is a javascript in the bundle.js running all the time checking for new chats and probably mod_community_bar and JomSocial itself are checking both all the time. So this doubles the requests.

I am really looking forward to use the chat but it looks like I am also not able as many others here in the forums. So I would also prefer an option for eiter chat oder message system. Right now it is really disappointing not being able to upgrade even with a dedicated server and JomSocial has always been a product that could be used by shared host users, too.

There are probably bunch of users not renewing their membership if they can't upgrade only because a feature does not work as expected. That would be terrible.

And to edit this post I also had problems on this site, too :(

6 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Seems the more user has messages (chats) the longer site loads. Try with fresh "demo" user account - it should work fast.
I have the same problem and wait for fixing it.

Sorry for my English
6 years 5 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Guido
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Do you also use JS Toolbar (mod_community_bar)? Its getting better without because in my opinion it double checks the chats if you're on a com_community subsite. As shown above the inactive chats time value should be set there or a new option should be implemented. This way it is still for a live site :(

6 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I use JS Notification module that has “Envolve” icon too.

Sorry for my English
6 years 5 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Guys.

Thank you for contacting us.
I passed this thread to our developer so he could reviewed it.
Please, stay tuned.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
6 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Guido
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

no reaction so far. The best option would be to let us decide whether to use the old inbox system or the chat. Long running communities can't use the chat as it kills every community. And of course all clean communities will be getting slower and slower the upcoming months and years.

How about running both parallel or a simple option switch for us to choose which to use it. You force us to either stay un-updated or running a slow site. Both is terrible.

6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Guido.

Please:

1. Edit your first post.
2. Click switch below main text field: prntscr.com/fk3hdg
3. Provide your site details: backend URL, admin credentials and FTP: prntscr.com/fk3hwz
4. Let us know that you provided credentials by posting in the same thread.

Messages become outdated feature, that's why it get replaced... and we rather won't get it back. You may always disable chat in JomSocial and use UddeIM.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

6 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Guido
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Old inbox system was stable and running properly. Why don't you let users decide what to use while so many users have problems with it and disable your new feature? For many users JomSocial is a community without a mailbox feature right now. And for others like me it is a component that we love but can't update anymore.

I will setup a beta site again and install latest JS, but you can not see the problems there, because there have to be many users online. I am not using it on the live site again until it is working.

6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Guido.

Chat is also stable and running properly on most sites.
Those who have issues have rather site specific issues... or with old messages that needs to be converted.... or because they are using bugged Chrome 62.
JomSocial is already complex... and you suggest to make it even more. Package become so huge that some users had issues with installing it (due server restrictions). So no - we want to make it simple. C'mon, step in to the future - chat is fastest way to communicate ;) As I said, you still may use alternative as UddeIM.

6 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Guido
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Of course I'd love to use the chat! I am looking forward to it half a year now, beta testing it, having problems with my community as it is running almost 10 years now with JomSocial. I already tried different way, e.g. 30 seconds setting, 60 seconds checking, not importing messages that are older than half a year, etc. My users even then had tons of messages and the more users got online the worse the site ran. I want to use it, but the site speed should not be affected that way.

As I have shown above there are hardcoded checks with 1 second in JomSocial component navigation, if you use JS Toolbar too you get double checks every second. In my opinion this is a bug and should be set to configuration settings. I could do this for JS Toolbar module but can't find the place to change it in the main component. Can you please point me to the right file?

And of course with every update this will be overwritten. So I hope you will fix this.

6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I have the same issue with old life site. The more user has messages, the slowly site works. For new users without messages (chats) it works every well. www.jomsocial.com/forum/profile-universa...fter-update-to-4-4-5

Sorry for my English
6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Guido.

Please:

1. Edit your first post.
2. Click switch below main text field: prntscr.com/fk3hdg
3. Provide your site details: backend URL, admin credentials and FTP: prntscr.com/fk3hwz
4. Let us know that you provided credentials by posting in the same thread.

Than let me know it's done - I'll assign developer to your thread, to investigate this further.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński