As the date of renew my subscription approaches I just wonder why, after so many years of jomsocial, after helping to fix stuff, reporting problems, helping other users and working a lot with the software, there is not a serious take on the translations, specificaly in the spanish translation, which is just not complete and has been just there for more than 18 months.
I do not understand why just nobody cares. It is like "Oh, yes I know there are communities that will need this translation, but I do not care because they have already payd so let them just DIE or".
As not only a user but a fan, I consider that this must not be a corporate problem but a single person or team behavior. Somebody is neglecting the translations department and leaving us, the paying customers, forgoten.
And just as a little extra on this whole issue, at the translations page we can find a message inviting to be part of the translation team, whic JUST DO NOT WORK. You register in transifex, they DO NOT APPROVE you to be part of the translation, and when you report that here on the support forum, an admin comes kindly to let you know that "JOMSOCIAL WILL APPROVE OR DISAPPROVE TRANSLATORS ON THEIR SOLE PART". WTF to that my friends, that is obvious, no need to say that.
So what is going to happen with translations? Or are you so narrow minded that will keep this beautiful piece of software only optimized for spanish UNTIL SOMEBODY COMES WITH SOMETHING BETTER that do work for everyone?
I hope the correct people get to read this message and please, save your "OH WE ARE VERY WISE AND THIS IS OURS NOT YOURS" responses. I´m demanding something fair and the only valid answer for this is "YES SIR, WE WILL FIX THAT TRANSLATION IN THE TERMN OF X WEEKS".
Thank you for your time.
Thank you for contacting us and your remarks.
Pat years has proven that previous approach towards translation didn't work.
Many applied on Transifex only to download files (while they ware perfectly available on our site: www.jomsocial.com/translations ).
Sometimes translators changed already translation only to fit their needs.
So we decided to change that.
Some time ago we announced a new Translation Project: www.jomsocial.com/blog/jomsocial-omniglo...lations-for-everyone
This time we offered translation project manager and translator in one for everyone that want to.
In exchange of free license!
Some users joined the project... but heir efforts are minimal... even if they know the benefits...
So how can you blame use for not finished translation? Or a bad translation? Our approach is fair and we even want to reward who want to cooperate with us.
There was just no luck with Spanish translator.
So in simple words: we personally can't translate and be responsible for translations (unless we're native speakers). We created an opportunity and try to encourage users to work for own and others benefit...
Then I have question to you - if you're so eager... why didn't you contacted us and asked to join the project? Sending request on Transifex without a word is not the case.
Thank you for your reply, Michał.
Since you took the time to answer this post, and you sound like 70% interested on fixing this. Well, ok, 60%, I will break my answer "project" style:
1. You are selling a commercial extension, so you just can not expect a "let´s build it like a community" solution anymore. People are people and if you leave the project in random hands, you will have random results. But you know that.
2. I appreciate the gesture of giving a JS license in exchange of finnishing the translation and keeping it up to date. I also appreciate unicorns, butter beer and the midichlorians. A jomsocial license will cost $298.00 USD for a year. Whenever you treat a translation project like this as a project, the cost of this translation will be way over that ammount. Maybe that is the reason that we, the users, who struggle in a very economicaly convulsed world to get the money to pay our bills, including the ones coming from you for your software, can´t just say "oh, let´s fix this guys problems to avoid paying 298 USD". It is a time consuming and it requires compromise. And when you RESPECT the software, as I respect your software, you will think about it twice instead of jumping in to do a bad job.
3. So Bad Luck and you just can´t do the translation. Understood, there isn´t and it is not likely to be a new jomsocial spanish translation anytime soon.
4. To answer your question: I asked here, I was sent by your staff to transifex, I registered and applied to do the job (and i did not know about the free license, i just wanted to fix the thing).
5. Now that we are clear on what the situation is, I will offer you this:
5.1. Provide me with access to your translation platform. You know who i am, have my info, know i´m into this.
5.2. I will take the license, but I´m not doing necesarily for that.
5.3. If this platform allows me to introduce the translations with accents (For instance "Passion" translates into "Pasión") it will work perfectly.
5.4. I will fix the spanish translation for the current version of the sofware and will be part of future versions fixes as long as this fixes do not require to re-translate the whole thing.
How about that Michał? Can we fix this thing?
Wrong :) I'm 100% interesting to fix this :)
1. C'mon. I'm sure you know how many languages are on Earth :) Nope. Check any other Joomla! extension - they ALL have the same model for translations. They do translation only if they are native speakers. All the rest is community made.And no matter if they are free or paid. Actually YOU suggested to give translation projects to random hands :) We contact our translator personally and we stay in touch. They are not random people anymore.
2. Most volunteers are happy to save and help :) BTW translation agreement apply also to future updates so only at beginning, when you start from scratch you have a lot to do. After that only few lines from time to time... and all future upgrades and renewals are free as long translator remain in the project.
3. It's up to you actually :)
4. Hmm, maybe wrong person answered you... now you talk with correct one :)
5. Sweet - I need your username or email at Transifex. I'll add you right away. yes, it allows you to use diacritic symbols.