Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

JomSocial back end is blank - still on JS 3.2.1.6

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Still running JS 3.2.1.6 on our J.3.6.4 site. A few weeks ago the JS back end was running ok, now I get a blank screen on tyring to enter the back end. Tried different browsers and cache refreshing.

I understand that updating would be a good idea, yet hope to get it running again without the hassle of such a major update (at least, that is what I think I should expect when updating to the JS 4 series.

Kind regards, Frits

7 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Frits.

Thank you for contacting us.
You may expect issues with so outdated version on latest Joomla!
So yes, upgrade is strongly recommended.
I'd like to take a look into your issue so which site I should check - live or dev?

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Michał,

The issue is on the site that is marked as develop site, but actually it is live; it's an extranet.
If you think that your actions might harm a live site I can create a copy instead.

Frits

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Michal,

I tried to update the JS install on a test/develop copy of the site. It seemed that the iJoomla updater and/or JomSocial itself fell into a kind of loop. I was asked to start the update process over and over again.

In the iJoomla updater at first this seemed to make sense, in a way: after the first 'round' of updating the version of JS was not 4.2.6 yet but some version in between 3.2.1.6 and 4.2.6 (I'm sorry that I did not take a note of the exact version number). This repeated until iJoomla updater indicated the version number 4.2.6 but still the button 'update needed' was active as well. I left it at that and turned to the JS panels.

After selecting Components > JS, I got into some updating screens of JS itself. I also got messages about modules that would need not be reconfigured. However, after finishing this I got into the same JS updating screen again. This time without image and listing only one mdule that woud need reconfiguring.

After that it got worse: now both my back end and front end show a blank page. Not a single url in back end or front end will work. The I repeated the process using the same backup on a different (this time: local) server, with the same results.

I would like to hear if this is a known issue and how I could avoid this situation.

Kind regards, Frits

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi, looks like you are working in but this is NOT a develop site, it's a live site.

Tried to tell you in an earlier post but this was probably not clear..

7 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Frits.

Hmmm... but when I've checked that site, backend for JomSocial was blank... so I thought that this is the site with issue...was it not?

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

True, but I did not try to update JS on that site; the JS backend became blank after updating the Joomla core. I tried updating on a develop site that I did not yet communicate to you, and which is completely down after updating JS (both back end and front end).

In the live site, users were busy. I will restore this site to the situation of this morning and provide you with a develop copy that is safe for experimenting.

I'll be back with you soon,

Frits

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Michal,

I created a test/develop copy of the site and updated the details in the restricted secion of this topic. Just to make sure: it is on a sub domain that starts with http://bwg01.

When updating these details I noticed what made me fill out the details in a somewhat confusing way. My main support domain is filled in as the main domain of this project, however both the live site and the develop site are NOT on the main domain; they are both on sub domains. I would rather fill in the main support domain as the live sub domain but I cannot change the support domain in my profile settings. That is a read-only field - and perhaps it is not possible to fill in a sub domain in that field?

Anyway, we have a test/dev copy of the site now and I restored the live site to a backup. Hopefully there is not too many user data that's been lost.

Kind regards, Frits

7 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Frits.

I just upgraded your test site that starts with http://bwg01without any issues.
Make sure taht you remove all JomSocial related extensions before upgrade:

0. Make a safe copy of your whole system (files and database)
1. Browse to Backend -> Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Manage
2. Search all extensions using filter "com"
3. Uninstall all JomSocial related extensions
4. Search all extensions using filter "jom"
5. Uninstall all JomSocial related extensions
6. Download latest JomSocial package from here: www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses
7. Unzip it
8. Install com_community package via Joomla! installer
9. Follow installation steps

Now JomSocial is 4.2.6 :) Please, check and confirm.

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your help so far. In the develop environment I am trying to re-create the front end looks, modules and settings of JS as they were before the update, so that I have these figured out before updating JS on the live site.

Now I'm stuck with the JS toolbar menu. The drop downs are too narrow for the menu item titles, at least in our language which generally uses more letters than the English translations. But I cannot figure out how to change the width by changing the css for the new template or for the toolbar menu specifically.

I read this page: documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Template_Developer_Kit

Then I checked the scss file at this location: /components/com_community/templates/jomsocial/scss/modules/_toolbar.scss, where file I found the following css related to the dropdown width:

.joms-dropdown {
     	width: auto;
        min-width: 190px;
}

However, in the front end the values read as this, which seems a bit odd to me:
.joms-toolbar--desktop .joms-dropdown{
        width: 140px;
}

Then I changed the /_toolbar.scss file and in the Theme Designer I clicked the save button (actually I clicked several save buttons as there are different buttons on the different Theme Designer sub pages. Yet the css did not seem to change according to my changes.

I hope you can help me to get this right.

Kind regards, Frits

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Additional question

While we're at the css: on the live site we also changed the height of the cover image, see screenshot. I'd like to have this in the new version of JS as well, but I cannot find where to edit this either.

Kind regards, Frits

Attachments:
7 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Frits.

Many of your styling issues are caused by this file: bwg01.beweging.net/templates/joostrapv3/css/custom.css and code in it. It adds additional space for toolbar menu items (lines 315 and 314).

Dropdown menu width is set here:

#community-wrap .joms-toolbar--desktop .joms-dropdown {
    width: 180px;
}

Just add above code to your custom.css.

This is for profile focus height:
#community-wrap .joms-focus__cover::before {
    padding-top: 17.5%;
}

7 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your help; this solves my css issues. It would be nice though to learn how the scss system works - but that can wait for another moment; at present I need to be able to get the live site updated.

I have one more question, then I think the setup will be the same as on the live site with the JomSocial 3.x version. On the old version, on the profile pages we have two modules (at least I think that they are modules), showing the user's friends and the user's groups. See also the marked area on my screenshot. I cannot find if it is possible to activate these on the new version, and if so, how to do that. And, what's a bit frustrating, I cannot find out how we activated these on the old version. I cannot find them in the list of modules or in any settings panel.

I hope you can help me with this last one.

Kind regards, Frits

Attachments:
7 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Frits.

In new version just use modules that ware installed along. For friends it should be Members and fro Groups - Groups. Then assign them to built in module positions. List of available positions could is here: documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Built-in_Module_Positions

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński