Just bought Jomsocial license. Really need dutch translation. Downloaded dutch translation but this is much much below usable. I really need dutch translation, so if it does not exist, I want to contribute. Let me know how to proceed.
Thank you for contacting us.
Yes, translation into Dutch is only 38%.
It seem that it stopped... so let me contact current translator and ask if he still want to contribute.
I'll update you ASAP.
There is something else wrong ...
I've checked the dutch language files, but it looks like most of the translated strings are not use.
Simple strings like "less then a minute ago" are indeed translated in dutch, but show up in English on the site.
I installed in Joomle the Dutch language file and installed thje file "nl-NL.com_community.zip" wich I downloaded from you site, which installed without errors. But the translated strings don't shop up. Whats wrong?
That indicates errors in language file.
You need to enable language debug in Joomla!:
Then check information panel that will be displayed at the page bottom. It will indicate which lines has errors or if language file is loaded or not.
It's not about installation.
Take a closer look into the language package.
The frontpage language file is not included - com_community.
It's because it's translation didn't reach file creation threshold (less than 20%).
That's why it's not loaded.
Okay, then the only thing I can do is write my own translation.
Backend can be in english, no problem for me.
What are all the files I have to translate for the frontend?
Do you have any tips how to proceed?
It seems that Dutch translator abandoned the project.
Do you want to replace him?
We'll offer you a FREE JomSocial license in exchange :)
All you need is to create account on Transifex and accept this terms:
- one translator per language
- license is issued after translation reaches 100% (translation and review)
- translator will be added to a special group of translators at jomsocial.com
- translator will be asked to update translation if new release contains additional language strings or fixes
- update should be done within 2 weeks
- translator may quit at any moment
- license will be canceled if: translator quits translator project, translation will be abandoned, no updates will be made within a month
1. You set account at Transifex and provide us your username and email
2. We add you to translation project
3. You may start to work
4. From time to time we’ll be checking your progress. If it stops for a longer while - we’ll contact you
5. If translation reaches 100%, please, contact us via Transifex or jomsocial.com chat
6. We’ll check the progress
7. If everything is fine, we’ll issue a license or if you already have one - renew it for you (in both cases you’ll need to provide us your username at jomsocial.com)
8. If new version of JomSocial contains new language strings, we’ll announce that on Transifex and Translators group at jomsocial.com
9 .If your license expires, please, contact us - we’ll check translation progress and if it will be 100%, license will be renewed
If that sounds like terms you can agree to, please reply to this email and send me your username/email at Transifex (you need to have account there: www.transifex.com ). If you don’t think you can make this commitment, please reply and say so, no hard feelings :-)
Thank you and I’m looking forward to working with you!
I'm willing and motivated to help, because I just realy need a translation for my own project. If other linguists in the Netherlands can benefit, i'ts ok for me. Do you know how many Jomsocial sites exist in the Netherlands?
Just a few questions, so I have an indication about how much work (time) is will take.
- For me it is not important to translate the backend, only frontend. Is is required to translate backend also in your project?
- How is ratio in workload frondend/backend?
- How much work is total translation (amount of strings, fontend, backend)
- How frequently do new versions (-> new translations) appear
- On avarage, how many new strings does a new version have?
- Are all strings gathered together in just one or two files, or do they live in a lot of different files?
- How does the proces of review take place?
- Is it allowed to use (start with) all (abandoned) translated strings so far, or is it mandatory to start all over again?
- Which licsense do you provide in return? Standard, Professional of Supercharged?
Another (important) question about the translation. To translate most of the strings, it is necessary to see the strings in context, where it is used. Is there so mechanism to see where a string is used on a particular place on a site?
I'll let you know my descision once I have received your answers on my questions.
1. Yes, license will be issued only when translation hits 100%. That include backend file as well... You may not need it, but other Dutch users may ;)
2-3. All together there are 6713 strings - we do not separate them to front- and backend. Workload depend from you... I spent about two days for few hours. But it's up to you how you organize your work.
4. Not often once-twice in a month... sometimes I do some language corrections. But then only few strings need to be changed... matter of minutes.
5. Hard to say :) from none to 5 up to 20.
6. They are separated on different files. Transifex allows you to use translation suggestions so if something contains the same text - you may just use translation that appeared elsewhere.
7. You're a translator and a reviewer :) You review on your own - we do not speak Dutch so how can we review it? :)
8. You start with partly translated files - you don't need to start over. Just review and correct existing translation
9. Professional :)
There two ways to check the context:
- after translation just install it, check and do corrections
- use context search apps like Agent Ransack to check constant appearance
I get only your friend invitation - no message received.
Could you send it again?
Received :) Answered.