Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

Problem with language switcher

9 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

My site is in English and Icelandic. Icelandic is the default language.

Icelandic shows up nice. Using a language switcher. Set to adjust to browser settings. Also tried site settings.

On this site when in Icelandic and I go into Upplýsingar notanda ( Profile) and then Breyta smáatriðum (Edit Details) it changes to English, no matter what.

If I disable language switcher everything is fine.

Maybe something simple but I can't find the solution.

I have another site that does not use language switcher and there it works fine.

Best regards, Jon

9 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Well, I was a little premature. It was very simple.

Solution is to make a jomsocial menu for each language. that is jomsocial-en and jomsocial-is

Best regards, Jon

9 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Again I was a little premature. It worked because I had disabled the language switcher.

When enabled it goes from Icelandic to English.

9 years 5 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Jon.

Oh, this issue was many time raised on forum so there are many threads about it.

1. There should be ONLY ONE JomSocial toolbar menu - with language constants, just like you have. So menus:

Jomsocial en
JomSocial Is

are totally spared.

You have two language menus:

Main menu en
Main menu is

Both contain menu item lined to JomSocial home/frontpage.

But system will use ONLY ONE WITH HIGHER ID - in your case in English. And this is cause of your issue.

JomSocial needs ONE link to JomSocial frontpage - all other (with lower menu item ID) will be ignored. All menu items within JomSocial toolbar inherit JomSocial frontpage menu item ID

Solution to this issue is a bit tricky and may be not 100% satisfying.:

- when you use multilanguage feature JomSocial CAN't be default site start page .
- so we need to trick the system and users as well
- create featured articles page as default for both languages but set 0 for all values in Layout tab:
Leading Articles 0
Intro Articles 0
Columns 0
Links 0
So page will be blank.
- now you should install: extensions.joomla.org/extensions/style-a...les-management/10307 it will allow you to restrict displaying modules for guests/registered and for certain language.
- from now on you need only to use modules like
Hello me module - for login pusposes
Community - Activity Stream - to display activity stream
And bunch of members, photos, videos and event modules that are bundled with JomSocial.

I know it may looks complicated but it's not as it look like ;)
With modules you can build page that will pretend JomSocial frontpage or be even better.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński