What could be done to improve French translation

10 years 3 weeks ago
    Topic Author
  • nrichard
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hello,

I'm using JomSocial on a site in French and, unfortunately, French translation is only 52% complete and part already done has a poor quality. JomSocial deserves much better and this is certainly your interest also to have quality translations to get new customers ;-)

I'm thinking of getting involved in the Transifex team to work on this, maybe I'll, maybe I won't, but have a few questions first...

- I've asked to join the team as a translator, but my request is has been pending for weeks...

- There are 4 Coordinator and 19 translators in the French translation team, none of them is active. I think only active translators/coordinators should be part of the team to be sure we all follow the same translation rules. How can get in touch with the team members to know who really has time to spend on this work, and "fire" other members? (so that that they don't interfere with our work!)

- Regarding Transifex use, I see that there is a Glossary, but I'm not sure who chooses what are the glossary entries (apart from translating them). For now, a lot of terms should be added to the glossary to be sure that all the translators use the same vocabulary, can I do this? Furthermore, a glossary is not enough, we need to have additional translation rules (for typography etc.), is there somewhere this can be shared on Transifex?

- And last, is there any reward for people really involved in JomSocial translation (it would be for us an additional motivation to start such a huge work ;-)

Also, I don't see any recent global announcement in the JomSocial Transifex project, you seem to completely rely on translators initiative e.g. to update the translations with JomSocial releases or take into account any modification you make in original language files. Maybe you should communicate a bit more, this community working for you (for free!) would certainly be thankful and more motivated.

Thanx for your answers.

10 years 3 weeks ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi there,

We cant help you too much for the 3rd party translation because that is beyond our support, have you tried this www.jomsocial.com/addons/languages/frenc...ncaise-jomsocial-3-x I think that is translation for french.

I have french translation for frontend only, maybe you can try it.. www.dropbox.com/s/x1l99oxockc5a5j/fr-FR.com_community.ini

Thank you

10 years 3 weeks ago
    Topic Author
  • nrichard
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hello

Who is in charge with translations in the JomSocial/iJoomla team, e.g. the person managing the Transifex project?

I know the first translation you gave me, it has a lot of things in common with the (partial) Transifex translation and quality is low.
I'll check more deeply the second one, but already saw that there are quite a few mistakes in it.

In any case, all this should be put on Transifex to have an official translation and a team improving and updating it. Don't tell me you don't care about this! ;-)

10 years 3 weeks ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi There,

Please you look at this www.transifex.com/projects/p/jomsocial/language/fr/members/ they are the people who manage translation for French.. I suggest try contact one of them.

Thank you

10 years 2 weeks ago
    Topic Author
  • nrichard
  • Visitor
Licenses:

OK, but I really need a clarification. Does anybody of JomSocial Team (at iJoomla) manage the Transifex project? Someone updating the original English files when a new JomSocial version is released, providing support to translators when it is really needed etc.?

10 years 2 weeks ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

I am sorry, we are not join to french translation right now. Yeah, the transifex team usually update the translation for each jomsocial release, but sometimes you will get delay for it, because the translator are volunteers

10 years 2 weeks ago
    Topic Author
  • nrichard
  • Visitor
Licenses:

I know translators are volunteers, I'm one of them. And my question is not about the French team, but about the project Managers (for all languages): usernames "SinisaKrisan", "jomsocial ", "meravkn (Ricardo Corai)", are they people just like me or are they iJoomla employees?

10 years 2 weeks ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

yeah you right, but they are not helping translate the translation

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński