I have a production server and development server. I'm doing lots of general site upgrades/redesign on the development side and when done I'd like to deploy by just taking an akeeba backup of the whole development site and restore it to the production site (with obviously a safety backup of the production site). My question is what to do about the JomSocial database changes (new users, new posts, etc) that have been happening on the production side but never seen on the development side. i.e., I want to deploy the new site to production but NOT overwrite all the community database.
There is no easy way to do this as your users not only registered on your site but also created now content (uploaded or posted). So you need to update your database and file structure as well. So you should install dev site, then remove or overwrite JomSocial tables and also upload content folders (usually stored in ROOT/images).
I afreid that there is no other way...
- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.
- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I did not think about the content files either. So in the database only all the _community_ tables are needed. Are there any others? What about the sync between the community users and joomla users? I guess to be safe I should also overwrite all _user* tables as well?