Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Can't seem to keep FREE members from seeing certain paid pages

6 years 6 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Laurie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hi all,

I have just added a FREE membership to our site. We also have three paid memberships.

There is a particular feature I'd like to bar FREE members from even seeing. It's the 'Request A Service' link in the JomSocial toolbar (I added it to the JomSocial tool bar).

I have set the 'Request A Service' menu item to be available only to registered members (the menu item attaches to a JA Builder page -- my entire site is JA Builder now). All our PAID memberships are under the REGISTERED user group .

I set all FREE members to be under the GUEST user group. So, when I set the 'Request A Service' menu item to REGISTERED, I assumed FREE members would not see it. But I created a FREE membership and I logged in with it and I can still see the 'Request A Service' link.

I think the issue may lay in the fact that both the FREE membership (which is under GUEST) and the PAID memberships (which are under REGISTERED) are BOTH under the PUBLIC user group -- so maybe I can't set different permissions for them? Anyway, maybe that's the issue. I don't know. Because I cannot create a user group that isn't underPUBLIC.

I'm really confused. All I want is to be able to reliably turn off some menu items, stories, etc... for the FREE members. So, how do I do this?

Thanks!

Laurie

Attachments:
6 years 6 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Laurie.

Thank you for contacting us.
That's a common mistake as JomSocial toolbar is not like any other Joomla! menu. Please, read this: documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Toolbar...ined#Common_Mistakes

You should rather use your site main menu than JomSocial toolbar.

Also a small tip - do not create new user groups under Guests - guests are users with userid = 0. All other users should be under group Public ;) You should create your group there.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
6 years 5 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Laurie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Michał wrote: HI, Laurie.

Thank you for contacting us.
That's a common mistake as JomSocial toolbar is not like any other Joomla! menu. Please, read this: documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Toolbar...ined#Common_Mistakes

You should rather use your site main menu than JomSocial toolbar.

Also a small tip - do not create new user groups under Guests - guests are users with userid = 0. All other users should be under group Public ;) You should create your group there.

Okay, so according to the link you sent JomSocial toolbar won't respect ACL changes. So, the answer is, basically, what I want to do, I can't. So I will have to find another way to manage this.

That prompts another question, then. Is there a plugin or something that would allow me to keep, say, an article that is persistently viewable when members log in so I could direct them to where they can request a service? I looked at the My Articles plugin but the page says the information is outdated so I am assuming this is a function no longer in use? It doesn't even have to be an article plugin, it could be any kind of module. I just don't want to have to rely on making a post and pinning it to the top of the page because that keeps me from pinning other information there. What I would like to do is place a link between the two areas shown. Please see the screen capture. Is there a way to do this? And, if so, how?
Actually, I figured this out on my own... just took the custom html module and placed it in the correct position on the correct page.

I still don't understand how to separate User Groups so that ACL is respected. If all memberships (PAID and FREE) are children of any group (in this case you're saying it should be the PUBLIC group), then I still don't understand how to make the children behave differently than their parent group. But, I'll take that issue to Joomla forums.

Thanks for your response!

Attachments:
6 years 5 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Laurie.

You just set a different settings for each Joomla! group, for certain component.
This may help you: docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Access_Control_List_Tutorial

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński