Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Restrict profile generation to certain user group

7 years 6 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Uwe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

Hello,

I know that this has been discussed and answered before by Michal. We have 3 different usergroups. Only one of them (named "experts") is allowed to have a profile in Jomsocial. The other usergroups (eg. "customers") are not allowed to have a profile in Jomsocial. As Jomsocial does not make any difference between usergroups currently all users from every usergroup get a profile. It is only possible to hide administrators. But I need to hide a different usergroup (customers).

Michals last information was that ACL will be provided with version 4.3. I don't know if this option will be included in 4.3. And on top I need a solution rather shortly because we have to go live in december. So what can I do to achieve the setup described?

Thanks,
Uwe

7 years 6 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Uwe.

Thank you for contacting us.
We're nearly there with 4.3 ;)
www.jomsocial.com/features/road-map
But as far I know there won't be such a feature. Why? Let me explain:

When user registers, Joomla! account is created along with JomSocial profile - it doesn't matter that JS registration was passed by and no profile fields ware filled. On that stage (during and right after registration) user CAN'T decide to what group he'll belong to. You may set a default group for newly registered users. but after registration is done only SU can reassign users to different group. But that will be a posteriori - profile is already created. So it's Joomla! account = JomSocial Profile... in other case you'll have TWO registration on site one to cerate Joomla! account and another to create JomSocial profile. Such a solution is in our other extension Gru - and we get a lot of complains about double registration.

So I'm afraid this won't be covered by 4.3 nor 4.4. You need a custom solution for this. You may contact with our company other branch in order to implement this customization: services.ijoomla.com/quote/

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
7 years 6 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Uwe
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Michal,

maybe I was not precise enough with my explanation. Registration is done by OS Membership and during this registration the users are assigned to the later usergroups automatically. This means that the customers (which are the group we want to exclude) don't have to be reassigned because the are in their own usergroup immediately after registration.

So I only need Jomsocial to recognize that there are users with this specific usergroup and then don't display them in Jomsocial.

How can I do this?

Thanks,
Uwe

7 years 5 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Uwe.

Hmmm, I think it could be done by customization.
But I'll assign developer - let he says what he thinks about it.
We can't provide complete solution but at least we may put you on right tracks... or request a new feature in future versions.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
7 years 5 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Uwe
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

ok - please try to clarify as soon as possible because we really need this feature. Please keep me updated.

Thanks!

7 years 5 months ago
  • Dimas
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Uwe,

I am sorry this is hard to be implemented, since we dont have this system on our current code..except you hack the code or use 3rd party component..

thank you

7 years 5 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Uwe
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Dimas,

I understand the two approaches and have two questions:

1. As regards 3rd party component which one can you recommend to achieve what we want?
2. And as regards the hacking I would like to know if this can be done by custom overrides or only by hard-coding only. On top I need to know if you (the Jomsocial team) would be able to do this as a custom job.

Thanks,
Uwe

7 years 5 months ago
  • Dimas
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Uwe,

1. you can try JSPT extensions.joomla.org/extension/xipt-for-jomsocial
2. only need to hack the core code, override method is not possible :)

thank you!

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński