Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Error when a user attempts to update profile information

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Matthew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi,

I refer to bugs reported along the lines of this request: www.jomsocial.com/forum/technical-issues...-profile-information

I have the same issue, that Chrome, in particular, has made a change to their autocomplete/password manager that makes Jomsocial's Edit Profile->Account Details 'break'. The user's password is autocompleted on the Account Details tab, which prevents updating anything including on the Account Information tab, because the autocomplete password does not match the blank confirmation field.

Chrome have been addressing this here: code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=352347 and here: code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=375333 which contain some information on the fix (how Chrome is going to try to get the correct password manager function (i.e. auto complete for user login, but not for registration or updating profiles, such as our situation).

Can you please ensure that the Edit Profile page is suitably set up so that their solution will work?

It is not reasonable to expect Jomsocial administrators to tell all users to turn off their auto complete functions, as was done in the above mentioned post... Users will stop using the sites or create very insecure passwords.

Thanks
Matthew

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Matthew.

Ok, I'll pass it to our developers.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Matthew.

I apologize that it took so long. I'm afraid that I haven't got good news. This is Chrome issue and can't be fixed from our side:
stackoverflow.com/questions/12374442/chr...ing-autocomplete-off

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

9 years 6 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Matthew
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Yes, I thought it was their issue, but I understand that adding a hidden password field above the visible one can make that irrelevant field get filled in instead. Not something you would want to put into production, but something I might experiment with...

Can you please point me to the file with the HTML for the user details editing page and I'll see if I can come up with something that works temporarily on my site. I expect Chrome's team to continue to improve their handling of this situation, so I'm not worried about it being overwritten in any Jomsocial updates.

Thanks,
Matthew

9 years 6 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Matthew.

Those fields are displayed in template files so you may try override:

ROOT/components/com_community/templates/default/profile.edit.details.php
ROOT/components/com_community/templates/default/profile.edit.php

9 years 6 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Matthew
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi. Good News...

I went to take a look at it with the view to put in a hidden password field to fool Chrome, but it looks like Chrome may have fixed the problem in a recent update :) The password field in account details was not being auto-populated today :)

Hopefully it stays like that!

Thanks for looking into it for me.

Matthew

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński