Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

3.2.0.5 Overriding Joomla Template Style Selections... Forcing to Default

9 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello,

Our site has two Joomla template styles in the Template Manager - one "Home" style and one "Category" style (which is the default)

After installing 3.2.0.5, JomSocial is forcing all menu items on our site to the Default Style selected in the Template Manager, and not respecting the Template Style selected individually for the Home page.

If I change the Default to the "Home" style, then JomSocial forces all menu items to that style and does not respect the "Category" style selected for other items.

If we uninstall JomSocial, everything is as it should be; however, each time we reinstall JomSocial we experience this problem.

9 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Brian.

You're right I don't see differences between templates ^^

But lets start from beginning. I tried login to your frontend and encountered 403 error.
It's probably caused by menu misconfiguration. Home menu item for JomSocial should not be inside "jomsocial" menu type.
And here avalanche of problem starts :)

"jomsocial" menu type is for "JomSocial toolbar" and toolbar is for INTERNAL JomSocial navigation.
It means that ONLY menuitems that are OUTSIDE JomSocial toolbar will have own menu item id.
So Home menu item for JomSocial should be outside "jomsocial" menu and this have menu item id that will be shared among rest of JomSocial pages (menu items that are in JomSocial toolbar)

Why it's so important?

Because in Joomla! you can assign modules and TEMPLATES only to menu item IDs!
If menu item doesn't have own menu item id then default template will be applied.

So again: Home for JomSocial should be outside "jomsocial" menu thus have menu item id. Template should be assign to Home element only as the rest of JomSocial menu items share it menu item ID.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

Thank you for your response. The reason for the 403 error is because of my firewall settings, so I created a non-SuperUser frontend user for you and included the login information in my original post.

Anyway, about the menu structure... My Jomsocial Home menu item is part of my main Joomla menu structure and not part of the Jomsocial toolbar menu structure. However, the problem still exists... Just the presence of Jomsocial 3.2.0.5 (even when the component and all JomSocial modules are disabled) is forcing all Joomla menu items to the default Joomla template style and not respecting template styles that are selected for each Jooml menu item.

Would you mind taking a second look?

9 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Brian.

Sorry but I don't fully understand.

You have two templates "GoFamz - Category" assigned to all menu item except "home" (and also this is default template for whole Joomla!) and "GoFamz - Home" assigned only to "Home".

You mean that JomSocial items should have assigned "GoFamz - Category" template but for some reason they have "GoFamz - Home"? Or because JomSocial all other menu items (not related with JomSocial) has other template than assigned?

Your template is copy of Ja_fubix template... how I could now the difference? (I disabled css compression to see files path). I need to something specific for each template.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

9 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

You have two templates "GoFamz - Category" assigned to all menu item except "home" (and also this is default template for whole Joomla!) and "GoFamz - Home" assigned only to "Home".

--- This is correct, except that it is only one Template, but two different Template Styles (GoFamz - Category and GoFamz - Home)

However, when JomSocial is installed, it is somehow forcing the Joomla "Home" menu item to load the default "GoFamz - Category" template style even though "GoFamz - Home" is selected for that menu item.

I experimented by creating numerous template styles, and found that JomSocial forced the entire site to whichever of those template styles I had set to default, without regard to what was selected for each menu item.

Here is the difference between the two. I have different CSS classes within the two templates styles. The styling is called from within the template block files, with the following class selectors (which you can see immediately after <!-- //header --> in the HTML source code:)

GoFamz-Category template style contains:
<section id="t3-mainbody" class="t3-mainbody main-left wrap">

GoFamz-Home template style contains:
<section id="t3-mainbody" class="wrap t3-mainbody home-page">

On my local install, I have installed/uninstalled 3.2.0.5 numerous times.... Every time I install 3.2.0.5, the site Homepage loads GoFamz-Category and is evidenced by the "main-left wrap" class selectors. Every time I uninstall 3.2.0.5, the site Homepage loads GoFamz-Home correctly and is evidenced by the "home-page" class selector.

Hopefully this clarifies a bit :)

9 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Brian.

Again I have 403...
I wonder if it could be caused that this is one template...
Please unlock access and I'll perform small experiment... or you prefer to create developer site for test?

9 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

Please use the front-end login that I provided in the notes section of the original post...it will give you access. If you use the Admin login on the front-end it will produce a 403 because of firewall.

In the meantime, I'll try to setup a test site. I just can't figure out why I never had this issue until JS 3.2.

Thanks!!

Brian

9 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Brian.

Ok, we'll see on test page... also provide us with FTP credentials.

9 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

I've added URL, FTP, and login information for the test site to the "Misc Information" on this posting.

Thanks!

Brian

9 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Brian.

I'm sorry that it took so long but I had a lot of support tickets so I tested my fresh installation with Joomla! 3.3.0 and JomSocial 3.2.0.5. I assigned different template to home element (article) and JomSocial. Assignment works.

prolusatia.nazwa.pl/test-muhanad/index.p...=featured&Itemid=101

It seems that assignment will work ONLY if you assignt TWO DIFFERENT templates. So duplicating it in backend will not work. You'll need to duplicate template file system, rename it in template xml, install again (using Joomla! discover feature).

Please visit test site you provided - I assigned different template to JomSocial "Connect" menu item and "Home" has other (default for whole system) template. And it works.

9 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

Thank you for looking into this. I'll check out the test site. Are you able to tell me what changed in 3.2.0.X that would not allow the assignment of template styles?

Thank you!

Brian

9 years 10 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

I did some investigating on the test site and my local install based on your recommendations, and here is what I found:

1. With 2 different Joomla templates installed, the Jomsocial menu item is the ONLY item that respects a template assignment.

2. ALL other menu items still go to the default template and do not respect individual template assignments.

3. As soon as Jomsocial is uninstalled, all template assignments work as selected. When Jomsocial is re-installed, the problem exists.

Something happened with Jomsocial 3.2.0.X.... We've never experienced this issue until this upgrade.

Brian

9 years 10 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Brian.

No, It can't be. I tested it on my site: prolusatia.nazwa.pl/test-muhanad/
And it works.
Protostar is default template (I just changed background to red) and Beez3 is assigned to JomSocial.
prntscr.com/3r1pug
Do you wish me to provide you access to that test page so you could see it by yourself?

Frontpage loads default template when all JomSocial menu items in JomSocial toolbar load Beez3 template.
There mus be TWO DIFFERENT templates - it will not work with template duplicated in Joomla!.

Template is assigned via Joomla! based on menu item ids and JomSocial doesn't influence that feature.

9 years 10 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Brian
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

Thank you for your reply. I've experimented with 3 completely different installations on 3 different servers with different templates (not duplicated), and have experienced the same result. JomSocial is the only menu item that respects template assignments. ALL other menu items are forced to default.

I'm wondering if I'm experiencing the same issue as this guy, which is labeled as a confirmed bug:

[url=http://]http://www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/17065-upgrade-from-3-0-5-to-3-2-0-5-template-issue[/url]

I would like to check out the backend of your site as well, as you suggested. Maybe that would shed some light.

Thank you!

Brian

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński