Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Default profile privacy settings

10 years 2 weeks ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Question #1 - is it possible to eliminate the option for any profile field or post to be "public"?

Question #2 - we are setting the default privacy level of each field in the profile. For instance we want the Birthdate to be private to the user alone and admins. I think we have set this correctly, but when a new user is registering, ALL fields have a default setting of public. Are we missing something? Can we force the default privacy level for each field?

10 years 2 weeks ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Ruben,

#1 so do you want remove public on your privacy list? you need hack the code for this, look at this file components/com_community/libraries/privacy.php and remove this code :

$access[ 'public' ]		= true;

#2 For this, you can use another method, look at your Costumize profile popup (when you edit / add new field) you can see this field "Visible" choose personal or admin only for this.

Thank you

10 years 2 weeks ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Dimas thank you for the quick response.

On #1 I will test your suggestion

On #2 that is exactly what we have done, we have set some fields to Personal, but in the registration page they all have privacy level public. Take a look at the attached screenshots. Is this a bug?

Attachments:
10 years 2 weeks ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

2. Well you can ignore the public privacy on registration page, because the privacy and visible setting in edit field configuration is different behavior, but jomsocial will check the visible config first and the check the privacy as well

10 years 2 weeks ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Dimas

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I think I am more confused now than before. Maybe I don't understand how the profile privacy is supposed to work.

The way I imagined it would work is that the admin would define the default privacy level for each profile field but then the user can change them if they want (except for Admin-only fields).

However what I am seeing is:

1. You said I should ignore the privacy settings in the registration page, but this is not acceptable. This is confusing for a user that is registering to the site and see that all this personal information is defaulting to Public. The registration form should reflect the default privacy setting set for each field.

2. Once the user is registered, the profile privacy setting for each field still don't reflect the real behavior. In fact they don't seem to have any effect at all. I changed the privacy setting for user rubenreyes2 for birthday and gender to Site Members, but they are still not visible to other members.

Both seem to be bugs to me. Please let me know if I am not understanding correctly how are this supposed to work. Or if I have a mis-configuration in the site.

Thank you

10 years 1 week ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Ruben,

Ah.. I aware this confusing, actually the user never complaint this issue before (global privacy vs custom profile privacy) I will try to raise this and discussion this with the developer.

Thank you

10 years 1 week ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Ruben,

This is an update from our team, we added this issue as our impromevent task, and maybe will be available future release.

Thank you

9 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello Dimas

I just installed the latest version of JomSocial and this problem is still present after 7 months.
Are you guys planning on solving this?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Farid
9 years 4 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Ruben,

Our PM set this is not a bug... because the privacy and visble setting is totally different behavior.

9 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks for the reply Dimas

I disagree with the response that this is not a bug. If it is not a bug it is bad usability because it is misleading to the users.

Let me explain: visibility and privacy are different but they are connected.

I have created a field "Gender". This field has the configuration you see in the first attachment:
- It shows in the registration form
- It is mandatory
- Visibility set to "Personal"

Here are the problems I see:

Because the visibility is set to "Personal", the user cannot really make this field visible to others. Even if the user wants to share their Gender, and set the Privacy to anything else that "Only Me" the visibility setting prevents the field from being visible to others. This is misleading and makes the user think that there is a bug.

On the other hand, when the user is registering, all fields appear by default to be "Public" in the privacy drop downs. This is also misleading because some fields are set to privacy "Personal". New members may be scared to enter information if they see that it set to "Public".

The Privacy drop down options should vary depending on the visibility setting of the field. In particular, if the field is set to visibility "Personal" the privacy drop down menu should be removed or be fixed to "Only me".

Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments:
7 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Dimas
I'm afraid I agree with Ruben
It's a must to be able to force the default privacy level for each field, as the desired privacy varies a lot.
I've seen the community_fields table, and I see there's no 'access' value for the fields, so my suggestion is to add one and let the administrator configure it

Saludos
Ramón

7 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Ramón,

Let we continue discuss the issue on our new support system, post your issue into this form www.jomsocial.com/submit-support

thank you!

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński