Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Accessibility for Birthday settings

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Philip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

I'm a blind webmaster/user. I am using Joomla 3.2.3 with JomSocial 3.1.1 and PHP 5.4.26.
I've been having a problem with the dropdowns/modal window that is used to set the birthday in the profile. With my screenreader, it's not visible. My wife - who is sighted - can see it fine, but my screenreader doesn't read it to me. Basically, the problem is that modal windows don't get "focus" with screenreaders.
Is there a way to fix this without using pop-ups or modals - neither of which are accessible? If it's not accessible in the birhday field, will it be accessible in the event fields? (I haven't gotten into that section yet).

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Philip,

I cant access your website, it shows 403 error, can you make sure your website is running well?

Also can you provide me the screenshoot of your error, please?

thank you

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Philip
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Dimas,
thanks for the reply.
There isn't, technically, an error - it's the simple fact that the date window/modal is not accessible to the blind via a screenreader.
I forgot that I had the site set to US users only in the security, I've changed that so you should be able to log in now.
As I said, it's not an error - no error messages, etc. it's just that a blind person using a screen reader can't access the date block. The same is true of the media block on the video/audio section.

Thanks again,
Flip

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Philip,

I can see your website now, but the content is like on my attachment.. can you verify this, please?

Also can also provide me the screenshoot of your issue, please?

thank you

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Philip
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi, Dimas,
This is Mickey, Flip's wife. I'm hoping I can explain our problem so you can understand it better. We are NOT getting an error. The problem is that the settings for the Birthday Date are not accessible to a screen reader.
We are making a website that is targeted to visually impaired users. JomSocial seems to have been moving away from accessibility lately. So far, we have found 2 items in the new JS that are not accessible - the calendar, both in the birthday settings and in the events; and the media player. Both of these use modal pop-up windows that don't take the "focus" of the screen reader therefore they are "invisible" to the screen reader.
Here are two links regarding website accessibility requirements - at least here in the US - and since we are in the US, we are required to follow these requirements for our site.
Designing for Disabilities
Web Accessibility Initiative

As Flip has said already, there isn't an error VISUALLY, but there is when it comes to accessibility.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks in advance,
Mickey & Flip

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Mickey,

well, actually this issue cuased by your Joomla conflict, if you look this edit profile URL dev.hraworld.com/hamtown/profile/edit?template=beez3 the select dropdown for calendar is working fine.

Update for me : I just fix this issue, I update the CSS update for your template.

Attachments:
10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Philip
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Thank you very much. It seems to be working correctly with Flip's screen reader.

Thanks for your patience,
Mickey

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński