Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Joomla core user registration and JomSocial

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi,

Just one more question for today ;-)

On our site we'd like to have a user registration procedure which has two stages:

1. The user registers, is being admitted to a Joomla core user group, is self activated and he can visit some parts of the Joomla site because of his user group rights. BUT he's not yet admitted to the JomSocial community, and should not be visible in the listings of JomSocial users.
2. An administrator is able to 'upgrade' the user's account to a higher level Joomla core user group AND to grant permission to enter the JomSocial community. Both actions are usually at the same time. It is ok if these actions can be conducted in the back end only.

When I tried to test this procedure I noticed that on registering and activating the user always becomes visible in the JomSocial user listings, no matter if I register using the JomSocial form or the Joomla core form and regardless of the Joomla core group.

Would it be possible to have the users on initial registration in a Joomla core user group which by default involves not being activated in JomSocial, while it IS activated on the level of the Joomla core user registration?

I hope that my question is clear.

Kind regards,

Frits

*** EDIT: ***

After I posted this topic, I noticed the following:
I registered as a test user and this account is designated to a user group with 'registered' access level.
I've set access to all JomSocial toolbar menu items to 'special'. Also, JomSocial itself is put under a menu item that is accessible to 'special' user groups only.
Yet when I'm logged in with this test account and I type a JomSocial url in the url bar, I can see the JomSocial toolbar, I can see the listing of all groups (I cannot enter the groups because they are private) etcetera.
What's most surprising is that there is a registration page in the Joomla core menu. When clicking this menu item while being logged in, I am redirected to the JomSocial menu item as well.

It is really quite puzzling to me.

Kind regards, Frits

*** EDIT 2 ***

Addition to the first edit: I do get a message saying that I'm not allowed to view 'this page', which I suppose refers to the Joomla core menu item for JomSocial. Nevertheless I can browse all JomSocial toolbar items, as long as they're not private. I can even edit my profile details.

10 years 3 months ago
  • David Sutanto
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Frits,

As far as i know, jomsocial was fully integrated with joomla users database so it is impossible to do like what do you want on point 1.. if someone register using jomsocial registration module, it will be inserted automatically to joomla user database and vice versa :)

For point 2, maybe you can settings all jomsocial menu permission access from joomla menu manager.. you can change which groups users can access jomsocial pages...

Attachment changeaccess.png not found

Warm Regards,

David

Attachments:
10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

David Sutanto wrote: For point 2, maybe you can settings all jomsocial menu permission access from joomla menu manager.. you can change which groups users can access jomsocial pages...

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Did you see the edits I've made to my first posting in this topic? Setting the access to the JomSocial pages seems not to work out the way I want. Once the users are registered in JomSocial they can see the JomSocial pages.

Frits

10 years 3 months ago
  • David Sutanto
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Frits,

Give me a time to check around about what do you want :) if i was done, i'll post it here :D

Warm Regards,

David

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi,

Maybe it helps if I try to explain it this way:

In the first step, we want to give users the opportunity to register and self activate. When registered, they'll initially see only certain Joomla core pages, not JomSocial. They can then read some general info and terms of use. On registration the user is designated to a Joomla core user group with the access level 'registered'. So the menu items they're allowed to see have the 'registered' access setting. In fact no menu items have public access except for the home pages which features a registration/login form.

In the second step, when they ask to get access to all pages, a moderator can grant them access. Then they'll be able to see all Joomla core pages and JomSocial. In order to accomplish this, I've set the other menu items and all JomSocial toolbar items to the access level 'special' and the user account is, at Joomla core level, set to 'special'.

The reason for this two-level approach is that we are dealing with info that is quite sensitive for our organization. Outsiders are invited to take part in the online community but we need to be careful and only grant those users who are willing to respect this. So we'd like to have them 'in the waiting room' for some time before deciding about access to all areas.

Now there are these two things with JomSocial that work differently from what I expected:

When someone is registered at the first level, he should not be able to view the JomSocial pages. Yet his account is visible in the JomSocial pages so other members might think that he is granted access already and send him messages. But when I disable the account at JomSocial level, it is also disabled at global Joomla level so the user cannot view any pages at all.

Second thing is: someone who is registered at the first level is not supposed to view the JomSocial pages. Yet he can, when he's able to guess the correct url or when he's redirected by the JomSocial registration form (the latter happens when he's logged in and clicks a menu item that points at the registration form). Then the user has access to all JomSocial pages according to his JomSocial settings. The point is that according to his Joomla core settings, I expected him not to be able to see the JomSocial pages.

Kind regards,
Frits

10 years 3 months ago
  • David Sutanto
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Fritz,

After i read your post, i think your request so complicated.. maybe you should use 3rd party component like ACL-Manager, Access manager (pro), or other.. But before you add this component, you should check about this 3rd party component.. this component can block user to click or access component if a user doesn't grants a permissions.

I tried to help you, but i think with default joomla system can't fulfilled your request..

I'm sorry to make you waiting so long.. :(

Warm Regards,

David

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Frits
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply & for the fact that you took some time to investigate my question. I understand that this was a type of question that is difficult to answer in a short time.

I'll discuss your answer with the other people in the project. Maybe we'll have to rethink our policy and/or the procedure that we had in mind. I am always strongly opposed to procedures that involve complicated solutions.

Kind regards,
Frits

10 years 3 months ago
  • David Sutanto
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Frits

You're welcome.. if you have any problem let me know :)
I'm happy can help you :)

Warm Regards,

David

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński