Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Jomsocial v3.1 style issue with friend requests

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Steve
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I think I need a blood pressure pill.....

So I go to your website, manually download and upgrade Jomsocial to v3.1.0.2 because the updater doesn't work. The install goes fine.

This friend request problem is back. The update re-BROKE Jomsocial....

ARGGHH.......

Attachment Capture_2014-01-28.JPG not found

Attachments:
10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hello Steve

It didnt re-broke anything.
JomSocial 3.1.0.2 is just a hotfix that includes some minor fixes www.jomsocial.com/features/changelog
Basically, if you didnt had any of 4 issues mentioned in the changelog, you shouldnt update to begin with

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When you think you found the bug, try to replicate it on a fresh Joomla.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Steve
  • Junior Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I'm sorry, but why would any "hot fix" not include this fix? It's been known about more than a month and you have already shared the "fix" for it so you know the code.

You include code to fix this:

"Upload button is duplicated when file size is exceeded"

But you didn't include the code to fix the friend request window? Virtually every social networking site involves friend requests.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the thinking here....I would have expected this patch to be included in any subsequent update automatically.

The following user(s) said Thank You: testcouch
10 years 3 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I see your point regarding the window size of the popup and just wanted to explain how some things get into the hot fix's and some don't.

With hotfix's compared to full releases we try to avoid disruption to peoples sites in regard to code / file changes. We try to
1. Include issues that are critical to using the site
2. Minimize file changes for site admins.
This is sometimes difficult and i'll use the window sizing as the example. Even though it is an important problem and needs fixing it isn't stopping users from using the site, The duplicate button that appears on a mobile was failing the current page and in some cases locking it up. So this got into the hotfix and the window pop up didn't.

In no way am i trivializing the popup window issue we need to include it but as you can see it can sometimes be difficult to weigh up what gets into the hotfix. I appreciate your feedback which is important to us and i will definitely be checking on the status of the window sizing to see when it will be sorted out once and for all. I hope this explains the logic behind the decision.

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Steve
  • Junior Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Paul wrote: Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I see your point regarding the window size of the popup and just wanted to explain how some things get into the hot fix's and some don't.

With hotfix's compared to full releases we try to avoid disruption to peoples sites in regard to code / file changes. We try to
1. Include issues that are critical to using the site
2. Minimize file changes for site admins.
This is sometimes difficult and i'll use the window sizing as the example. Even though it is an important problem and needs fixing it isn't stopping users from using the site, The duplicate button that appears on a mobile was failing the current page and in some cases locking it up. So this got into the hotfix and the window pop up didn't.

In no way am i trivializing the popup window issue we need to include it but as you can see it can sometimes be difficult to weigh up what gets into the hotfix. I appreciate your feedback which is important to us and i will definitely be checking on the status of the window sizing to see when it will be sorted out once and for all. I hope this explains the logic behind the decision.

Paul, thank you for the reply. I have never seen your name before to thanks for jumping in!

I understand this and agree that minor upgrades are not meant to be comprehensive. I also agree that changing lots of things that admins may have to compensate for when updating should be avoided.

However, I don't think this friend window falls into that category. It was two js files that personally, I have never had to touch in the several years I have been using Jomsocial. Are people really modifying these files.....therefore, they would have to worry about them during an upgrade?

Perhaps they are and I'm in the minority. I don't know. I do know that the "fix" files didn't adversely affect anything else on my site. I'm not sure what would have been the harm in including them.

At the end of the day, I don't own a development company. You folks are successful and know what you're doing. It's always a package deal. My feedback was meant to let you know that when people are using a social networking extension, the visuals and user experience are in fact very important...if not the most important aspect of using it! Think about what would happen if the Facebook chat window was partially cut off. Now what would happen if Facebook crashed once in a while. Which would people care more about?

I in fact did not know anything about the bugs that were actually fixed in this patch. None of them affected me, but this friend request window affected EVERYONE!

Thank you for your response and keep up making a great product!

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński