Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

JomSocial Features (business/employee - file share)

10 years 1 day ago
    Topic Author
  • Charles
  • Visitor
Licenses:

I was wondering if JomSocial could handle a situation such as this.

1 - User logs on
2 - User belongs to a company

Does JomSocial have the ability to create companies that users could join? I'm assuming you could use a "Group" to pull this off. For example, if user does not see their company, then they could create a group for it. Otherwise, if company (group) exists they could possibly request to join it.

I'm assuming that Groups can be set up as private and would have some moderation so not just "anyone" could join?

The next question is about file sharing. Is there a way for a Group to provide it's members files that would be secure?
If so, is it possible that a Group could share it's files with another Group of users, but not everyone?

Even if JomSocial can not handle this I've thought of other ways. For example, I could automatically add users to different Joomla access groups based on their group affiliation and then integrate it with a third part file sharing component like DOCMan or PhocaDownload.

Any information on the above would be helpful.

Thank you.

Charles

10 years 1 day ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your inquiry,

Does JomSocial have the ability to create companies that users could join? I'm assuming you could use a "Group" to pull this off. For example, if user does not see their company, then they could create a group for it. Otherwise, if company (group) exists they could possibly request to join it.

Yes you can make the groups in jomsocial work for companies and can even change the language files and call it that. If you make the group private and require moderation then you wont be able to see the inside of the group until you are an approved member

The next question is about file sharing. Is there a way for a Group to provide it's members files that would be secure?
If so, is it possible that a Group could share it's files with another Group of users, but not everyone?

You can use discussion and upload files, this is then only available for members of the group sharing the files in Group A is not possible with Group B you would need to put the files in both groups

Even if JomSocial can not handle this I've thought of other ways. For example, I could automatically add users to different Joomla access groups based on their group affiliation and then integrate it with a third part file sharing component like DOCMan or PhocaDownload.

Yes this would be possible with customer development but please be aware that Jomsocial does not have ACL support, This will be included in V3.4 (we have only started on V3.3 this week) :)

Please let me know if there is anything else i can help you with

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński