Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

Trying to Decide if JomSocial is Right for Us

10 years 3 days ago
    Topic Author
  • Lauren Selman
  • Visitor
Licenses:

I apologize for the length of this email but we have to be thorough, up front, to ensure a product will work for us. If someone could address all the below questions, that would be extremely helpful.

I work for a bootcamp, fitness program called The Sergeant's Program. We have 23 classes, all with different instructors and members. We would like (1) the classes to be able to communicate between themselves and (2) our corporate headquarters to be able to communicate with all the classes either individually or as a whole.

First off, what type of account would we use? We can't have our members pay to use this service so we'd need to be able to get all 400+ registered without them paying anything.

Second, how does each member sign up for a group? Can we put in member emails and they confirm the invitation or do they, individually, have to create a JomSocial account?

Finally, I know we can create groups for each class and a member of corporate could be in each group to monitor and send out communication. Does the communication only stay on the website or mobile app? Can messages be texted to a members phone or sent to their personal email address?

If someone can address all of this, that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any additional questions, I can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Thanks.

10 years 2 days ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Lauren,

I think the best way for me to answer your questions is to give an example setup

Headquarters = full access everywhere
Trainers = Admin of the group they are training
The people being trained = access to that group only as standard registered users

Headquarters that needs access to all groups and the site (Those users are site admins)
Trainers that need to carry out all all functions in the groups they are the trainees for (they are a standard registered user but made as group admins individually in each group)
People being trained (They are just a standard registered user added to a group)

Lets say we have two classes
Lauren's training class (advanced)
Paul's training class (beginners)

We create 2 new private groups called Paul's training & Lauren's training
Headquarters are admin so they can go into both these groups without being added to them
The trainers (you & I) join our groups and are made group admins. We can do anything, but only in that group.
We can set up events that can only be seen by that group. We can post photos, add files, make announcements, email members post on the wall. All the features of the group

You now tell the people joining the class to register at your site, registration fields can be customized to what ever you wish, with fields like weight, goals, medical conditions etc. They then go to their group (class) and press join group. This then emails the group admin (you or I ) to tell us someone wants to join, we go to the group and add them. They can then view and use the features of the group. once their class has ended they can be removed from my beginners class to your advanced class by Headquarters

The other option is Headquarters can manually add a user to the site, add them to the group, then give the user the log in details

This is a scenario of what you can do just "out of the box" And the possibilities are endless.

At the moment Jomsocial only sends email not text messages, email communication goes to the users inbox as well as external email depending on the user preferences.

You can go to our demo and look at how a lot of this can be used demo.jomsocial.com

I hope this answers your questions but if you need anymore help please let me know :)

10 years 2 days ago
    Topic Author
  • Lauren Selman
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Paul,

This does help very much. Our biggest hangup is on members creating login and passwords for JomSocial. We currently use a member registration system called MindBody and every member has to create a user profile by answering a pretty substantial and lengthy registration questionnaire.

Do you have a heal-code option or integration with other websites that can be used? If not, what type of login information does headquarters provide members if we "register" them first? Can you send me a screen shot of what that looks like?

If you have a suggestion or work around on how we can, most easily, get our members registered without them having to take up time creating, yet another, online profile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9 years 11 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Lauren,

I am very sorry for my late reply. it did not show up in my list for some reason.

The Jomsocial user sits on top of the joomla use table so you may be able to get someone to write an API to interface the two but as for something that already exists there isn't anything i know of.

If headquarters was to register them then it can simply be the email, username and password, you can create customer fields if you want or just leave it simple.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński