Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

Question on license

10 years 3 weeks ago
    Topic Author
  • a-developer
  • Visitor
Licenses:

The iJoomla proprietary license v1.0 reads:

[...] You are allowed to make any changes to the code, however modified code will not be supported by us. [...]

I am a developer and not the license holder, so the "You" above refers to my client. My question is - what are my rights wrt releasing modifications I've made to iJoomla javascript/css code?

The problem is that I undertook a large project for a client, and substantially modified the core iJoomla javascript and CSS files. How can I release those changes? i.e., only via patch files? I see the statement in the license that says:

[...] You are allowed to use the extension on more than one domain [...]

which applies to the license-holder, and I read that as meaning something like "you are allowed to apply your license on more than one of your domains".

Do you have any information that provides more details on licensing of the private-license parts of the Jomsocial codebase (particularly javascript/css)? I don't really understand what I can and can't do.

Thanks!

10 years 3 weeks ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi And thanks for your inquiry,

As a developer there is no issue with you making modifications to any of the files proprietary or not, then releasing thses changes to that customer. Where it becomes an issue is if you get the proprietary / copyright files modify them and sell or distribute them as your own. The issue is ownership not modifications.

The customer (your customer) that then needs support would have their domain listed in the installed sites and supported site boxes in their account. If the fault is determined to be a modification then if it is a simple fix fine, but if not we would then refer the customer back to the developer that made the modification

I do want to mention that we are very close to a major release and you mention this is a large project so i though i'd mention that there has been significant changes to the stream and other areas of Jomsocial

Let me know if you have any other questions

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński