Integrating Joomla users

10 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Rachel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I'm setting up my company intranet and would like to have a social component to it. My joomla users are linked to my networks active directory listing which is where I want their info to be stored. Will Jomsocial use these joomla accounts or will they be required to create new accounts/ duplicate the information I already have stored in AD/ Joomla user profile?

I also have user groups mapped from Active directory. Will I be able to make use of these in jomsocial?

10 years 2 months ago
  • Eric
  • Thank you received: 632
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Expired Publisher Expired AdAgency Expired Socialize Expired

Hi,

Joomla users = JomSocial users. Joomla users is the core behind every user in JomSocial. To ensure that users can be 'shared' between different components etc and not to duplicate the data JomSocial stores all additional info about users like: 'about me' for example in its own database tables.

To give an example:
I have a Joomla website with 1000 users. Kunena installed for forum only. If I install JomSocial on top of all that, those users will have their own JomSocial profiles. Of course the additional info like the mentioned 'about me' would be empty and users would have to add it. Nevertheless, they can navigate through JomSocial without a problem as they already are 'in the system'.

I hope that helps.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements: bit.ly/WyZyrL
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job: bit.ly/10OzfPN
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
The following user(s) said Thank You: harendra
10 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Rachel
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks for your reply. How can I map information from my active directory directly to the jomsocial user profile fields? For example I have added a field for 'office' (i.e. which office someone is based in) to Jomsocial. This field doesn't exist in joomla but I don't want people to have to enter this information because it is stored in my companies active directory.

Is it possible to map fields from AD to Jomsocial in the same way I've mapped AD groups to Joomla?

Thanks

10 years 2 months ago
  • Eric
  • Thank you received: 632
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Expired Publisher Expired AdAgency Expired Socialize Expired

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you explain it in more detail? Perhaps share like a workflow how do you want things to work?

Please advise.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements: bit.ly/WyZyrL
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job: bit.ly/10OzfPN
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

10 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Rachel
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Sure. So in the Joomla user plugin I can map user groups in joomla with user groups in my active directory with the following: CN=Account Management:20

'CN' is the identifier within Active directory for the type of data, 'Account Management' the name of a group and '20' the user group in Joomla that I want people from the account management group to be mapped to.

I can't find any interface within the Jomsocial extension so imagine it might have to be in code but I'd like to do the same with user profile fields. In Jomsocial I have a field that is FIELD_OFFICE for example and that information is contained within my active directory. I'd like to know where I might be able to create a mapping that says 'field X' in active directory should map to 'FIELD_OFFICE' in Jomsocial.

I think it might be that I have to first create these additional fields in Joomla (this is a related article: shmanic.com/tools/jmapmyldap/documentati...e-plugin.htm#prepare ) but I was hoping to avoid this and just link directly between Jomsocial and my active directory.

Does that make more sense?

10 years 1 month ago
Licenses:

Hi, Rachel.

In my opinion you'll need some kind of connector/exporter as all user data displayed in JomSocial are stored in database.

- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński