Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Avatar cache issue, need suggestions..

10 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Team,

I found after applying "image crop" of user's avatar, the system remains using the SAME file name for the picture; this creates problem for site using CDN to cache / boost their site, to see the latest (updated) avatar. It may takes a while (for TTL/cache to expire I guess) for user to see their newly adjusted profile picture (with cropping tool); I tried manually purging the cache and the the pic update immediately. (so confirm is a problem due to CDN's cache)

I guess the only solution to this is to use Off-site avatar storage, eg: Amazon S3. However, without any luck at the moment, this is not an option as it's been confirmed there is a bug with S3 for image updates (from other post). I know this will be resolved soon in 3.2, but this won't be the only solution (not all site owner want to use S3 remote storage).

Just wonder, if it is possible for Jomsocial to use a new file name for updated avatar? (include crop adjusted image), this may solve the problem with CDN cache I guess. Maybe a wishlist for future JS release.

p.s. I tried to disable caching specific folder (/images/avatar/) from CDN but seems not working, maybe they determine the rule via page URL, not source / material url.

Any suggestion or plan ?

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Dear,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. We apparently had a real issue on our forum and some posts simply were not visible for us. Our developers are currently fixing this issue and this should not happen again. I hope this didn't create a problem for you :)

What do you mean with " if it is possible for Jomsocial to use a new file name for updated avatar? (include crop adjusted image)" I dont really get it? oh ya we just released version 3.1.1, maybe it will help you solve this.

Regards

10 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I've resolved the issue from the CDN by avoiding to cache the avatar folder. This could temporary solve the problem. I guess this is not a "problem / bug" of the Jomsocial. However, everytime JS make an adjustment to an avatar (position, zoom, etc) it will save the setting to the SAME filename (but different thumbnail image content - size, position, zoom). This is okay if a site not using and CDN to "front" their website.

Let me explain a bit more...
- User uploaded an avatar
- the CDN cache the avatar image
- The user try to adjust the position / zoom level of the avatar pic and save
- the CDN won't update the adjusted avatar as image are normally treated as static content with same file name (or until the TTL expired)
- The user reload their profile page (or other pages with avatar/ avatar thumbnail) but cannot see the adjusted updated.
** Unless the Jomsocial save the new adjusted avatar with a new filename, it won't immediately trigger the CDN to recache (or update) the avatar image, thus, the user cannot see any change if their site using CDN without setting up a rule to un-cache avatar folder.

Changing the filename after adjusting the avatar (with avatar's thumbnail) internally via JS will resolve the problem with CDN... not sure if it's a huge modification to the code? If it's a simple change then it's very nice to have since I am sure some serious sitebuilder also use CDN very frequently for their web project.

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi,

I think you need create the plugin for this, for sycn the local action with the CDN, but sorry I cant help you too much.. since this is need lot of modification.

10 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

No problem, since I have resolved the issue already ^^.

Just a wishlist for future release, if changing the avatar also trigger to save into a new file name, will be some good news for CDN users.

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Glad to know that... :)

And thank you for your idea, I really appreciate it!

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński