Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

URL in Jomsocial notification emails

6 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ross
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

When I add a user as friend, they receive an email with a url to approve the invite. But when they click on this link (index.php?option=com_community&view=friends&task=pending&Itemid=101) they get the message:

You do not have permission to view this resource. Please contact the Site Administrator.

Please help me to fix this issue. If friend/user is not logged in at the time, they should be redirected back to the login page I assume?
Jomsocial Redirect Plugin is active with Override com_user registration =Yes and Redirect back to previous page = YES

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hi

This isn't a link to accept the invite, but a link to see a page where pending invites are shown, so it cannot be accessed directly. A login to Jomsocial account is available at every page.

6 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ross
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

The below URL is system generated using the {url} placeholder of the COM_COMMUNITY_EMAIL_FRIEND_REQUEST language string.
index.php?option=com_community&view=friends&task=pending&Itemid=101

To re-create the problem, register on Agri360.farm. I'll then click on your profile and friendship request you. You will then get an email asking you ti click on a link to accept my friend request. When you click on the link, you will be taken to the page that you rightly say "cannot be accessed directly".

In my opinion, this is a design fault unless I've got some permissions wrong that are blocking access?

As I said, the default Jomsocial implementation (as per above) does not allow friends to accept friend requests because the link clicks through to the home page with a big red message saying "You do not have permission to view this resource. Please contact the Site Administrator"

For this to be functional so that a friend can click on a link and accept the friend request, what placeholder or URL should I be using in the COM_COMMUNITY_EMAIL_FRIEND_REQUEST language string?

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi

Och, so You mean that the user is registered already. Than I agree there is something wrong here. Please provide Joomla panel access and prepare some dummy user for tests.

6 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ross
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Thanks Piotr. I've included admin details.
To replicate the issue:
1. Goto Agri360.farm and register as a user, providing an email address that you have access to.
2. As soon as I see your registration coming through, I'll search for you on the Agri360 site and click on your profile, then click on the <ADD AS CONNECTION> button indicating that I' like to "Connect" or "Friend" you.
3. This will trigger an email to you asking you to accept my friend request.
4. When you get the email, please make sure you are fully logged out of Agri360, then click on the link to accept my friend request.
5. This will take you through to the Agri360 home page with a big red message saying "You do not have permission to view this resource. Please contact the Site Administrator"

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi

You said: "4. When you get the email, please make sure you are fully logged out of Agri360"

So this is what I've been telling You. The link in mail is not a friend request confirmation, but a link to one of profile pages with pending friends requests. It's not possible to show that without being logged in, that's why the message is showing.

I'll register in 2min, maybe I'm not getting something here.

6 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ross
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

The bottom line Piotr is that if I request you as a friend, you will get an email asking to accept my friendship request. If you only responded days later by licking on the link in the email and you were not logged in at the time, you would be greeted with a very unfriendly error.

I replicated this on the demo.jomsocial.com/ Demo site and got the same issue happening there. That means that its not only happening on my implementation of Jomsocial. See Attached screenshots of the email approval email that gets sent and then the error that shows up when someone click on the link to accept the friend request.

Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ross
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Piotr, did you get the "Friend Invite" from me that was sent to your Gmail email from Agri360?

I agree with you that "This isn't a link to accept the invite, but a link to see a page where pending invites are shown, so it cannot be accessed directly."

Surely then, the user who clicks on the link in the email to accept the "Friend Request", and who is not logged into the site at the time, should be re-directed to the LOGIN page?

As I mentioned, the jomsocial demo site demo.jomsocial.com does the exact same thing. i.e. the user clicks on the link in the email and is met with a very unfriendly message saying "You do not have permission to view this resource. Please contact the Site Administrator". This scares users off and they subsequently abandon the friend acceptance process.

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi

Yes. So this is how it was implemented. All I can do is to ask programmers if this cannot be made so the request is accepted automatically.

6 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ross
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

My opinion... all it has to do is re-direct to a user friendly Login page .

Please log this as an issue/bug with the programmers. In the meantime, I'll try and find a workaround.

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi

It has been reported, but there are many more elements which will be welcomed by a "You do not have permission to view this resource" message and there is no a way of telling what brought us to this page.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński