Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

MY DEPLORABLE UPGRADE EXPERIENCE!!! - this simply sucks

7 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

ISSUE SUMMARY:
I just repurchased this app and installed 4.2.5 after many years. I received an email this morning and am really frustrated about how this application upgrades!

STEPS TO REPLICATE:
1. You receive an email announcement about an upgrade and half ass read it because well its an upgrade and you want the latest.
2. Like every other joomla application you log into your joomla instance and expect to press the upgrade button after the brief check.
3. This never happens so now you must go back and carefully read the email (slightly annoyed)
4. You learn the email say nothing much about how you actually upgrade but offers a link (yes fully annoyed now)
5 Once there on that page you learn you need to go to " www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses " and download your package. (super annoyed at this stage - I mean how many steps does it take to upgrade this damn thing already)
6. then you learn you had not but need to install another component called iJoomla Installer (now I’m just cussing and how effing retarded this process is)
7. After installing the iJoomla Installer, the upgrade fails citing "No license identified for this domain. If you have a license, please visit the My Downloads page and enter your domain there. If you don't have a license, please click the Buy Now button to purchase" (Now I’m saying WTF where do i find my license!!!/???)
8. in the license column there is a "?" icon and the hover text reads "You can see your license code from - My Downloads - from your iJoomla/JomSocial account" (now I’m just PISSED as all I WANT TO DO IS EFFING UPGRADE IT ALREADY)
9. login to the website and go here " www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses ". cant find a single WORD that CLEARY SAYS ****LICENSE*** (see attached - NOTHING) now I am throwing my cordless mouse against the wall because I’m so frustrated I could be a fire breathing dragon.
10. I search the forums hoping to find out how to find my license number and all sources read you should go here www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses which is a infinite loop

RESULT
I have destroyed my entire office as a result of this maddening experience - my wife has called the paramedics citing a state of psychosis brought on by stupid ass software that makes people do really dumb things

EXPECTED RESULT
To have a user experience like I have for the last 5 years with Joomla with very professional and popular software. When an upgrade is available, upgrade it via the native joomla installer. There are few packages that are manual and those are from developers that are either new, learning to code for Joomla or who have written software that is non joomla compliant in which case the only way to upgrade it is to manually do it. FINDING MY LICENSE KEY SHOULD BE AS STATED IN SUPPORT AND IN THE INTERFACE OF THE IJOOMLA INSTALLER 100024586 is the only number on www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses and it is not valid

BROWSER
does not matter

Attachments:
7 years 5 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I upgraded manually by re-uploading the component - a real pain in the a$$.

After re-reading VERY CAREFULLY
"No license identified for this domain. If you have a license, please visit the My Downloads page and enter your domain there."
this part stuck out.

This is not what folks are expecting based on how 90% of other Joomla software works. It either just works or you copy and paste a key/license/number into the product... which is EXACTLY what iJoomla Installer appeared to allow you to do as one can enter in the License field and enter text.

Every user experience brought on by the general Joomla experience and your misleading labels and texts on these other help tickets have folks doing something that does not exist or work. Your support tickets, help hover text and error messages should all BE saying the same things...

In any event, I figured this out now, and going forward I can better be prepared for this - I can only hope your development team improves the manageability of upgrades. To your credit I do like your method of entering in the domain name as opposed to copy and pasting a key in each instance out there. better for me and better for you against piracy. Still there are many loose ends to tie up and improve here.

best I can tell the actual product seams to kick ass except for the Facebook connect security issue I raised in another ticket and can not tell if you also addressed that here. I assume not as your not disclosing anything.

6 years 8 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Bleed for you man. I also find the upgrade experience astonishingly archaic. I would expect a company with such a great product to have perfected a one-click upgrade experience.

6 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Guys.

Thank you for contacting us.
I'm really sorry that you had a hard time to upgrade JomSocial.
On www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses there is only one number that could be identified as a license number.
Also you must to provide supported domain before you download.
Nevertheless it's also lesson for us. You're saying - we're hearing.
First stage of integration with Joomla! Update feature is done.
We're working on second stage - that is license check.
This is already implemented for iJoomla products and JomSocial will have this really really soon.
So next time you just add your license number in JomSocial configuration and you'll upgrade with one click.

So I'll pass your feedback to our Project manager to show how important this is to make it work ASAP.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
The following user(s) said Thank You: John, Peter Gales, Clint , Vladimir
6 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Guys.

I'm happy to announce that we took your feedback seriously and latest version is the last one that requires manual update.
From version 4.4.3 you'll be noticed about new version after you log in to Joomla! backend and JomSocial upgrade will be one click (well, exactly 3 clicks but close enough).

To upgrade to JomSocial 4.4.3 log in here: www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses?Itemid=209
Download installation package.
Unzip it.
Install com_community_professional.4.4.3.zip using Joomla! Installer (the one you sue for any other Joomla! extension).
Install on top of your existing JomSocial version.
Then browse to Backend -> Components -> JomSocial -> Configuration -> Register license and enter your license number (this is required only once).
You'll find your license number here: www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses?Itemid=209
prntscr.com/gibw7s
Finally click save and you're ready :)

In case of any issues - please, post on forum or hook me up on our Chat.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

6 years 7 months ago
  • John
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

i have been a customer for 8 years with about $5000 invested in twice yearly product and it is not getting much better. It would be great if Jomsocial versioning was hooked up and synced with joomla versions then you would not have the problems that are apparent. Presently I am sitting with jomsocial 4.4.3 and Joomla 3.7.5 and chat is not working. I am sure it is being worked on but it should have been tested and ready for release.

Presently the up-sell is taking precedent and pushing for upgrades when the product is not ready.
I have lots of patience but clients are not so happy and I do not wish to make changes that will be incompatible with upgrades. ;-)

6 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

HI, John.

Thank you for contacting us.
Chat is working perfectly with Joomla! 3.7.5 so your issue is probably site specific.
Please, open a new forum thread, provide site credentials so I could take a look and help you.

Certainly JomSocial is sync with Joomla! versions. We do test it before release. Please, do not assume that issues you experience are related with Joomla! version. Especially when hot fixes ware released. If we notice some postrelease incompatibilities - we announce that on our blog and provide fix at the same time.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński