Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Discussion Indexed by Google Point to "My Groups" pay After Upgrade. Help!

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Rob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

We get 80% of our traffic from discussions indexed by Google. People find our discussions though searches they do on Google. When I upgraded to the most recent version of JomSocial I immediately noticed a sizable amount of traffic landing on the "My Groups" page of our website, but no one ever goes there, so I knew something was wrong. What I found was discussions indexed by Google now link to My Groups page instead. We do use the My Groups page on our site. We really need to upgrade because we're still on 3.2.1.1 which doesn't let people reply to private messages. Have you guys tested to make sure discussions lead to the exact same URL when upgrades are done? Please help.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Rob.

Google indexes certain URL, if URL on your site has changed and visitor come from Google he/she may be redirected.
Could you post what terms I need search in Google to see what was indexed?
Try compare Google indexed URL and your present URL. Upgrades (a hot fix like 3.2.1.1 -> 3.2.1.3) doesn't change your URLs.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Rob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

Hi MIke,
If I upgrade and leave the links misdirected for long we'll lose search juice and go further down in Google pages. I'll tell you what I'll try it again tonight when traffic is low. Can anyone on the team be schedule themselves to check it out?

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Rob.

I fully understand that you'll loose in Google ranking ;)
Just trying to say that JomSocial doesn't alter your URLs... but I'd like to check my self... that's why I asked you:

"Could you post what terms I need search in Google to see what was indexed?".

I'm in CEST = +2 GMT and my shift is 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The rest of support members have weekend. So if you post after my shift end I'll check it at Monday...

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński