Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

WSOD White screen in admin component after Jomsocial install

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Lincoln
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi guys,

I had just got the Jomsocial Professional license and tried to do the installation but have been met with a number of problems. Version information before I start:
Joomla_3.2.1-Stable-Full_Package
Jomsocial com_community_pro_3.1.0.1
Apache/2.2.22 (Win64) PHP/5.3.13 on WAMP
Google Chrome Version 32.0.1700.76 m (or Firefox 27.0)

Problem

First, I tried to install via iJoomla-Installer-Updater but the component itself triggered an error when I try to access it via backend (see attachment 1).

Next, I tried to install Jomsocial via component file; installation can be completed with no problems but... I get my first white screen when trying to access my backend admin. The screen is just white after login. This can be fixed according to some of the forum posts by disabling jomsocialupdate plugin either via renaming of the folder or disabling via phpmyadmin.

When I can see my backend again, I tried to access Jomsocial component via the admin menu link. Here, I get the second white screen. I tried the Jomsocial documentation recommendations on the link
documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Site_is_blank

Nothing works, and I cannot elucidate any error messages with maximum error reporting and debugging enabled. System information -> directory permission indicates all paths are writeable.

At first, I told there were conflicts with my other third party components, so I did a fresh Joomla 3.2.1 install and repeated the Jomsocial installation. The same thing as described above happened.

I understand that local development/testing is not supported, but my current understanding is that this is potentially a bug since the conflict appears to be between Joomla 3.2.1 and Jomsocial 3.1.0.1. The problem can be easily replicated with the current release of Joomla and Jomsocial. Also, issue does not appear to be a result of third party template as only Joomla default templates were used.

It is worth noting that the frontend appears fine; I can see the profile and modules, and I have tried creating an event which appears to work well.

I have yet to test Jomsocial on earlier versions of Joomla, but this is likely to be working nicely. I am unable to drop to previous version as my current site and component integration is almost completed with Joomla 3.2.1. In the process of moving the test to live testing in a hosted server, but this will take some time as the account is setup. I will try to see if I can identify the problem with the admin white page. Would appreciate if you could provide suggestions/fixes!

Attachments:
10 years 3 months ago
  • Eric
  • Thank you received: 632
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Expired Publisher Expired AdAgency Expired Socialize Expired

Hi,

You've provided only /localhost/ info. Is there anyway you can make it online so that we can take a look? At this point it's just a guessing game.

Thank you.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements: bit.ly/WyZyrL
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job: bit.ly/10OzfPN
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Lincoln
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I have not got a hosting account yet, they are still processing my order and its the weekend.

But I did manage to solve the blank screen in my admin page.

I tracked down the problem to following file:
.../administrator/component/com_community/community.php Line 111 "ob_start();"

Turns out that anything prior to this line seems to work, but nothing is printed in this line and after, which means the view does not load.

The code itself works fine; so my assumption that its a bug is incorrect. The problem is with the curl library of php 5.3.13, the default file that I have got does not seems to work with the Jomsocial codes so I searched for a updated file (php_curl-5.3.13-VC9-x64) and replacing php_curl.dll seems to have done the trick.

My admin page is now up and running.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
10 years 3 months ago
  • Eric
  • Thank you received: 632
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Expired Publisher Expired AdAgency Expired Socialize Expired

Thank you Lincoln,

That was a really great report on your side. I'm sorry I was unable to help you sooner with that. Hopefully your findings will help others in the future :)

Have a wonderful week!

Marking as solved.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements: bit.ly/WyZyrL
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job: bit.ly/10OzfPN
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński