Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

jomsocial frontpage broken after 2.6.3 to 2.8.4.2 upgrade

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello,
I am trying to slowly get current with Jomsocial. I am running the latest 2.5 Joomla patch and Jomsocial 2.6.3. My template is Yoo Studio Nano3. Everything is going smoothly for the most part. I am now trying to upgrade to 2.8.4.2. I am using the iJoomla installer. The install completes without errors. Our frontpage looks good after the install. However, when I log in and am brought to the Jomsocial frontpage everything breaks.
4 files attached.

Attachments:
10 years 3 months ago
  • Eric
  • Thank you received: 632
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Expired Publisher Expired AdAgency Expired Socialize Expired

Hello,

First of all I'm sorry you've been having issues. Unfortunately, we support only 2 latest major versions of JomSocial. At this time it's 3.0 and 3.1 versions. Basically the upgrade process from the old ones should follow this scheme:
1. BACKUP EVERYTHING AND MAKE SURE BACKUP WORKS
2. Uninstall 2.6
3. Install 2.8
4. Uninstall 2.8
5. Install 3.0
6. Uninstall 3.0
7. Install 3.1
8. Done.

There's more information on upgrades and migrations in our documentation: documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Getting_Started_Documentation

Thank you.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements: bit.ly/WyZyrL
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job: bit.ly/10OzfPN
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I understand. Unfortunately, I did go to 3.0 and had exactly the same problem. I restored from backup and am now slowly upgrading piece by piece to try to understand where the problem gets first introduced. It appears it is seen first in the 2.8.4.2. code. Do you want me to upgrade the broken site to 3.0 again and send you screenshots and code from that?

10 years 3 months ago
  • Eric
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Expired Publisher Expired AdAgency Expired Socialize Expired

Hi,

JomSocial has undergone so many changes since 2.6 version. Like for example, in the previous versions the frontpage of JomSocial had all those 'module-like' parts built into it. This however, has been changed in next versions and frontpage has been 'broken' down to separate modules like latest members etc. So upgrading from 2.6 to the latest 3.1 can be a bit of a shock. What you consider broken may actually not be. So if you could setup a sandbox account with the copy of your site and upgrade it to the latest according to the steps I provided we could take a look at what's happening. From you we'll also need a detailed report of what's exactly exactly and how do you think it should work. I'm asking for a sandbox not to 'play' on your live site which may impact your user experience.

Screenshots are always most welcome :)

Thank you.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements: bit.ly/WyZyrL
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Any comment on the screenshots and code I already provided?

10 years 3 months ago
  • Eric
Licenses:

Sorry but no. Looks like the stream is missing but what's causing it is not clear. So screenshots are like a roadsign to guide us to replicate the issue. Only then we can inspect the console, errors etc.

Please also don't forget to update the first post and add access details to the sandbox.

Thanks.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński