Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

The profile header image and mobile bandwidth.

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Roger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

So i'm looking at the social template and there's this huge image that each user selects for their profile, like Facebook, I guess.

So I upload a picture, and it looks okay, and it's like 1 megabyte or something. And Jomsocial allows me to reposition the "window" on that header image.

My question is this: With users on mobile so severely limited on their monthly bandwidth, is it a good idea to have this huge profile header image???? Or does that image get sized down specifically for mobile users...so that Jomsocial or Socialize senses the width of the viewport and serves a smaller version, fewer kilobytes? If not, it seems like it would really suck down their bandwidth, and maybe cause people never to come back to your site.

Roger

10 years 3 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Roger,

The system will resize the uploaded photo to the smaller size, in mobile view we already use responsive css, so it will be ok if you see it in mobile.

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Roger
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

My question has nothing to do with how the user sees the profile image. my question concerns the WEIGHT of the image in kilobytes, and whether Jomsocial creates LIGHTER versions of the profile image.

The fact is, the images that users create with their mobile phones could be 1 or more megabytes easily. If a user gets 1 gig of monthly bandwidth for mobile, they aren't going to be using your site much if every profile view sucks down 1 megabyte. It will drive users away.

SO I ask again, does Jomsocial detect the mobile screen and serve images that have been resized by the server? This has nothing to do with responsive templates and CSS resizing.

Roger

10 years 3 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

No, we do not detect the mobile via server, we only optimize the image view not the size front client side and NOT from server size, as far we only can do like that.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński