Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

How to control meta description and title in JomSocial?

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi JomSocial staff!

First of all, my experience with JomSocial has been great and through my site's beta testing at the moment, the community feedback has been awesome! I was digging into the source code to see the meta description and title tags and had some questions.

1) Where do I control meta titles and descriptions or does JomSocial populate these automatically?

2) Also, I noticed that the meta descriptions were all duplicates across all JomSocial pages. How can I prevent this? This is definitely not good for my site's SEO!

3) And, finally, the URLs to the images and albums don't seem SEF friendly, even with Joomla SEF turned on. How can I improve these?

I would like to avoid purchasing a third party SEF component since I use Kunena and Jreviews, both of which have great SEF already built in out of the box. Plus, a third party component would most likely conflict with my current setup.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hello Ryan

I am not really sure how do you plan to control meta tags with JomSocial, or any other component for that matter, but. You can only alter the page title easily through language files or by hacking the files as shown here
documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/SEO_Fea...or_JomSocial_Objects

As for images, what we have currently is the best we can have with current Joomla SEF
Altering it would require a massive hacks to both, Joomla's and JomSocial's routers

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When you think you found the bug, try to replicate it on a fresh Joomla.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hey Sinisa, thanks for the reply but my main concern is the fact that the photos/videos do not have unique descriptions. Couldn't this hurt search engine results, since every page will have the same description? I would think google would not favor the site since it will have so much duplicate descriptions. :(

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I also tried to edit the meta description by going to the menu item --> Advanced Options Tab --> Metadata Options --> Meta description but it seems that JomSocial did not accept these changes unfortunately.

So, as it is now, the videos section, photos section, and photos all have duplicate meta descriptions. Anyway to fix this? I think this would hurt my search engine results. :(

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hello Ryan

can you please specify exactly what descriptions youre refering to?
Each page in JomSocial have unique title, but im not sure about what descriptions you talking about.

This page for example, doesnt even have an

meta name="description"
tag, due the fact that is created automatically, and you can't really add the description to it. It will always have the unique titles created out of image captions.

Can you show me what are the exact descriptions you talking about?

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Yes, please take a look at these pages:

All of these pages have the same, duplicate meta descriptions:
www.starwarshq.com/videos
www.starwarshq.com/photos
www.starwarshq.com/photos/album?albumid=64
www.starwarshq.com/878-robby-thomas/phot...bumid=64&photoid=149

The description for the above pages is:

<meta name="description" content="Star Wars Battlefront E3 2014 gameplay trailers, details, release date, screenshots, images, videos, wiki, guide, tips, tricks, maps, weapons, vehicles." />

....and that is just a small example. EVERY photo has this same description, which will hurt my SEO since google does not like duplicate meta descriptions.

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Thanks again for your help.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Well Ryan, that is your site meta description
Its also available here view-source:http://www.starwarshq.com/star-wars-games which is not JomSocial page to begin with.
You can not control meta descriptions with component.

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Sinisa,

I appreciate your help with this but I believe that my input is quite valuable since I am currently beta testing my site, which means I have large group of users beta testing your product to make it even better. ;)

I should have mentioned in my previous posts that I do know about the Joomla site meta description set in the global config of joomla...but the real question is: WHY can't the descriptions be controlled via the component JomSocial automatically?

For instance, if you look at the Kunena forum component, they create the descriptions automatically depending on the topic being viewed:

www.starwarshq.com/forum/contributors-fo...tent-writer-position

Here is the meta information that the component "Kunena" created:

<meta name="description" content="Please take the time to watch this video, which explains contributor positions: [video] Love writing content? Have you ever managed your own blog? If this sounds like you,... (1/1)" />
  <meta name="generator" content="Joomla! - Open Source Content Management" />
  <title>Star Wars HQ :: Topic: Apply for Content Writer Position (1/1)</title>

Any ideas how this can be improved until this is considered in future updates? Duplicate meta content really hurts search engine results which is a problem that should be addressed in future releases of JomSocial. :(

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hey guys, just wanting to see if you had any updates on this or are considering an update or have a quick fix.

Thanks again. :)

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ryan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hey again Sinisa,

I just found out that JomSocial has a bug in it that you guys should be fixing in 3.2 to fix this issue so that is good news! You can see the post here:

www.jomsocial.com/forum/modules-plugins-...ption-same-all#49703

^so, that means I will be able to control the meta descriptions and tags in 3.2! :D

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Ryan

I dont think youl be able to control it. They will just be created out of existing content.
For example, if you look at the album page, the meta title will be album title, and meta description can be album description.
letting users to control them would be just a settings overkill

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński