Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

Disapointed

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

ISSUE SUMMARY: I am a disappointed. I purchased Guru and have spent roughly 10 hours installing and trying to make it work in my situation. Guru does some great things. However, there is no grade book. I created a course, created a quiz, but when the student takes a quiz the only option is the automated grading. I chose essay and the system emails me a notification that there is a quiz, but I cannot grade the essay. the system fails the student. If I click the link in the email the system want's me to login again in a new window. When I do it takes me to my login page not to a page to grade an essay. Simply can't find the essay to grade it. There is no option on the back end except reset the course which wipes out everything.

Another increadably disapointing point. There is no current documentation. When I purchased the welcome email links all went to 404 errors. when I email support I was told to register with learn.ijoomla. Well honestly I have registered on jomsocial, ijoomla and now I am supposed to register on learn.ijoomla because your links don't work? The only documentation i can fine is really old.

On the dashboard it says to enable bootstrap override, but there is no such option.

Guru has a good start, but there are a variety of little issues like this that makes it not usable for me. I am back to shopping for a LMS that has a grade book and that allows me to enter a grade or edit a grade.

I love jomsocial. I only wish Guru was at the same level. Wasted a day and a lot of money.

STEPS TO REPLICATE:
RESULT
EXPECTED RESULT
BROWSER

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Dave.

I'm sad to hear that.
Our documentation is in form of a course so you learn how to use Guru, actually using it.
That's why you was asked to register in course.
You spend a lot of time trying to configure Guru... but registration take just few minutes.
But you may also just view our videos here: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDF80AE2FA404B1AD

On the dashboard it says to enable bootstrap override, but there is no such option.

You mean such a notification is displayed? Please, do a printscrin and post it here.

That is correct, there is no grade book and students grade aromatically passing tests and move on to next courses. Such a feature is just not present... yet (?).

Redirection to profile is done by Joomla! As (since latest upgrade) J! login takes to profile page by default. Solution for this would be logging in and then clicking on email link again.

We are here to help you with issues you have - just give us a chance and report them to us :)

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks for you reply.

I have watched almost all of the video's. They seem to be on a much older version of Guru and the sound was really hard to hear, but I did get some good info there. Yes, it was helpful to use Guru to learn.

I attached a screen shot about the bootstrap. I thought that might be why I was having a problem with the email or finding a place to grade an essay.

I understand that you must be logged in. I have tried being logged into the front end, the back end and both. Every time I click the link on the email it wants me to log in again. It never takes me to anything, but the login page no matter how many times or active tabs I have logged in.

If there is no grade book Guru will not work for my situation. I need to have the ability to have essays or set assignments that the teacher can grade and give feedback on. When the quiz was failed there was no way to fix it or change the grade. I tried resetting the student, but that would be a nightmare because it deletes all the students other quizzes and information.

How am I supposed to put an essay answer in a quiz and grade it?

I would have thought that even a basic grade book would have been foundational and thought it was. Without a basic grade book Guru is limited to an automated watch and click system. The teacher is limited in their interaction and usefulness. They cannot make adjustments, give assignments other than watch and take the automated quiz.

Yes, I am giving you a chance. I don't like giving negative feedback, but in this case my hopes were high that this would work and it just doesn't look like it will. I can work around bugs and other issues, but a grade book is a must for me.

Attachments:
8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Dave.

I asked Guru developer about bootstrap notice - it seems that you're right, there is no such an option i general settings.

Just now I understood what you mean by "grade book".
There is a quiz option "essay" i.imgur.com/Fgw6lo4.png
It will be shown in quiz as a rich text field.
After quiz is submitted i.imgur.com/GUKyGR1.png

I still need to talk with Guru developer regarding this. I'll update you ASAP.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Dave.

I have confirmation that bootstrap notice it's obsolete - we'll remove it in next hot fix.
Please, ignore it for now.

I still wait for explanation regarding grading essays.

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Dave.

Dobra, I'll describe step by step how to add an essay to a course and how to grade it.

1. Browse to Backend -> Components -> Guru -> Quizzes
2. Create new Quiz;
- click on "New Quize" button in upper right
- choose if this will be regular quiz or final exam
- fill necessary data in "General" tab
- in "Question" tab click "New question" button
- choose "Essay"
- write an essay question i.imgur.com/HuUMDs6.png and click "Save & close"
- save your quiz
3. Browse to Backend -> Components -> Guru -> Courses
4. Choose your course
5. Create new module or just add "new lesson"
6. Choose "quiz" as lesson content i.imgur.com/WEhW0lh.png
7. Choose your newly created quiz with essay
8. Save course.

Now browse to frontend as a test student and pass all lessons straight to quiz you've created. Write a test essay and submit. You should see notification like this: i.imgur.com/GUKyGR1.png

Now log in as teacher.

1. Click "Courses" tab - you should see all your courses.
2. Click a book icon in last column called "To Mark" i.imgur.com/eW6GYIQ.png
3. You'll see list of all quizzes that are pending to be graded: i.imgur.com/h4ckf23.png
4. Click on pencil icon in last column
5. Modal window will open allowing you to comment and grade essay: i.imgur.com/6aPcUBy.png

Essays could be graded only 0 - failed, 1 - passed.

I hope this helps. if you need more help in this, please don't hesitate to ask.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński