Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Front page announcement?

7 years 10 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Gary
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

ISSUE SUMMARY:

I am trying to find a way to add an announcement to the front page. Specifically I would like all users to know about "X" (not through email - I prefer through the site itself so discussions can be had.) I believe that announcements are made through groups so I am making the leap that in order for me to place an announcement on the front page, i need to place a group on the front page (but even then, announcements are not the default tab view, discussions are). What is your suggestion to make a global announcement that is visible to everyone as soon as they login and I can make "sticky" so it stays prominent. I made the group in question featured, but honestly, other than the pretty red banner "Featured" i dont see what this does. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Site subdomain is chapmansreach.urbackyard.com

7 years 10 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Gary.

Thank you for contacting us.
What is created in group - stays in group.
So if you want to create global anouncement you need to do it on main activity stream.
And here you have two ways:

- create a regular post and feature it on main activity stream
- or create custom post (only Super User can do that) - use predefined announcement or custom:
i.prntscr.com/28e57623324d4e1d8450b224a8474c80.png

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary
7 years 10 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Gary
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Thank you Michal. I believe you meant to make the custom announcement "featured". That seems to keep the announcement sticky at the top. I could not find where one makes a post featured but no need - for now.

7 years 10 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Gary.

Sure, here are the steps:

To make post featured:

1. Browse to community frontpage as SUPER USER.
2. Type any text in postbox: i.prntscr.com/97e3ed9d8924411bad5dce0b9f359167.png
3. Click "post" button
4. Post will appear on stream: i.prntscr.com/60ffebb2a7ba443a967e9b5d7c61b723.png
5. Click on dropdwn arrow icon and choose "Feature this activity": i.prntscr.com/a2825f356ced48f9801026e3e486cea9.png
6. Activity will be featured and get a special marking: i.prntscr.com/71fb4d3d9cc74509b36a7b42defbd693.png
7. It will stay on top of the stream even if I post new activity:
i.prntscr.com/23f8876812fd4b25a0a2f9ee2449e90e.png
i.prntscr.com/50f56ec05f374e6ba7ffb990c849b43e.png

All above steps apply to Admin Custom Announcements but first you need to create custom announcement in post box:

1. Click "Custom" button in post box:
i.prntscr.com/a27833ae12a54b5f95ba21afabe83eff.png
2. Now click custom again:
i.prntscr.com/8f05c43687d14c4495606e3e8020e318.png
3. Type your text and click "Post" button
i.prntscr.com/285b31bbe0a941bfa572f08ef459b887.png
4. And now follow step above: i.prntscr.com/739de8f016cf433ba1a701dd1ed054fa.png
5. Result: i.prntscr.com/ff26a96bd005441f8d713fcfecc3242b.png

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński