Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Problems with Group features; Announcements, Discussions and Events

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Ok, Chris, please do. I'm at a loss here on how to fix this.

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello,

It's been over 3 days since the last reply to my problem. It's been over 2 weeks since my original posting. I am no further ahead on a solution than I was two weeks ago!

I really need some help here please.

- BoJames, still patiently waiting...

10 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi BoJames,

I test your original issues :

-- When attempting to create a new "announcement" or "discussion", I get the following message (even though the group is published by admin);
"Sorry, this group is under moderation by the Administrator."

-- When attempting to "edit an event", the "edit group" page is accessed, instead of the "edit event" page.

and seems everything is working fine for me

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Dimas,

This is too strange. As you can see from my original post, this issue was posted over three weeks ago. The posting trail will also show that Chris, whom was helping me, was stumped on the issue as well. Just before I posted my last reply and "escalating the issue to supervisor", about four days ago, I tested the issue to make sure there were no changes. There were not, the issues were still present. Shortly after, I noticed in the "user manager" that someone had logged into my account with the Super-User login I had set up for jomsocial to trouble shoot - I then checked the issues, and everything was working!!!

So, I'm sure you can see my confusion. Do you know who accessed my website and what, if any, changes were made to fix the issue? I don't know how the problem would go away on it's own.

- BoJames

10 years 1 month ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hello BoJames,

The login you are referring to would have most probably been from myself and another support operator, I found that there was still an old sef404 plugin that that was not disabled and the sites SEF was conflicting with the plugins SEF. Once i disabled the plugin then the error stopped.

I had a discussion with Chris regarding the fact that i fixed it and i presumed he had replied, likewise he presumed i had replied. I apologize for he confusion this has caused.

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

O.K., Paul,

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense! So, it looks like we've narrowed the problem down to being a conflict with the sef404 extension. The extension has been disabled (with the exception of the plugin you found) ever since Chris suggested it while he looked for a solution. What can we do to determine the cause of the conflict? I want to be able to use the sef404 extension as well.

10 years 1 month ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi BoJames,

The plugin wouldn't normally be required as joomla is handling the SEF for you, running the 2 different SEF methods on the site could cause a conflict randomly all over the site. Unless i am misunderstanding your comment you wouldn't re enable the 3rd party plugin unless there is a reason i am not aware of..

I hope this helps

10 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

You'll have to excuse me. I'm a novice with much of this and in over my head!

So, it may be possible that if these two are conflicting with each other then that they may be causing my problem with jomsocial - if I understand correctly

I guess I didn't realize Joomla had this and I decided to install the sef404 extension. I see the yes/no option in Admin/global config/SEO Settings. However, I don't see any Joomla component manager or dashboard for additional SEF options. Am I missing a plugin or something? Or, are their no options beyond the global config SEF on/off option?

If there is no additional control offered for handling the URL's then I would prefer to enable the sef404 component. If that is the case, do you think that just turning "OFF" the SEF option in Joomla would solve my issue? Or will this cause other considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help with this.

- BoJames

10 years 1 month ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Bojames,

The joomla SEF is normally what you would use for SEF now days in joomla SEF404 was used widely in Jommla 1.5 but the improvements over the joomla versions means that joomla will happily do it all for you.

To give you a better understanding of how it works you have the following settings in Joomla
1. Search Engine Friendly URLs this will turn the main url string into a url more friendly for humans and search engines

index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=1&Itemid=103
is the path to a jomsocial group that has the id of 1 the section after index.php is what will change when Search Engine Friendly URLs is turned on

2. the next option is url rewriting and this needs a .htaccess file in your cpanel account (if you run apache) or turning this on will cause the site to go out. Joomla by default installs a file called htacces.txt simply go the your site root and rename it to .htaccess then turn the rewriting option to on
The above url will then look like this yoursite.com/jomsocial/groups/viewgroup/1-private-group a lot more friendly to read. This is really all you need for SEF and additional plugins are not required.

If for whatever reason you do need to use a 3rd party SEF plugin then turn off both the joomla settings or it will cause a conflict and most probably cause erratic menu behavior

I hope this helps explain it a bit better

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński