Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Jomsocial 3.2.1.6: All Groups Disappear(ed)

9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi.

The upgrade yesterday came with issues, including noticing that attempting to access each group results in a 1054 error.
All groups have disappeared. The groups worked prior to the upgrade. I saw this issue at www.jomsocial.com/forum/groups/23217-use...slected-disappearing but have no clue as to if the suggested fix worked and this has been resolved. Please attend.

Best regards.

9 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ade.

Please provide us working administrator credentials.
I can't login to your site.
Please, edit your first post and add credentials to corresponding fields.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks, Michal.

Please refer to additional notes, new ftp admin parameters, screen-capture, front-end parameters set up so you could view practically. It's a bug experienced only upon upgrade. Kindly also login as user and also try out the group
www.mysite.com/social-networking/groups/...rope-america-network so you may see the effect

Also do let me know if the recommended fix worked in the mentioned forum when tested out by your own team.

All groups are present as expected at the back-end (see attached screen-capture).

Attachment groups-shows-in-backend.jpg not found

Regards.

Attachments:
9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Update/Addition:

We tried to create permanent back-end admin user details for Jomsocial Support but cannot find Jomsocial component in the list of installed components within Joomla's ACL Global Configurations. Please advise as to how to include Jomsocial ACL support, with a view to apportioning desired access permissions.

Regards

9 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ade.

JomSocial 3.2.x.x doesn't support Joomla! ACLs. So you can't limit access to JomSocial for certain user only...
So we'll need a global Super User account... or separated account wit SU rights.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks, again, Michal.

I waited anxiously for a quick solution but this hasn't helped! This is a live site. Is your support, like ours, 24/7?

There are many issues with this upgrade, and this is just one of them. I have used Jomsocial for many years and now I tremble (seriously) each time an upgrade or update is at hand. Each one creates much more troubles than it solves. And then, of all the major components there-in, how come it's only Jomsocial that hasn't yet taken time to enable even minor acl support what-so-ever?

(I shall like to open a ticket, later, and express own major observations to your team on some of these general issues).

Jomsocial has worked below par for us of recent and it's almost giving me a heart condition. Also, the mark of trouble with any component
is when everyone has a need to demand access to all our own carefully nurtured files just to troubleshoot a bug.

Not sure what you mean by 'separated account wit SU rights', but for now, kindly:

1. Please note that all groups worked before this upgrade; we have no unusual customisations to the codes;
2. Do find a way to provide possible causes of this bug from your experience and alternative ways to remedy.
3. We run our own hosting, but the control panel ftp to Jomsocial files have been provided for your use. Please see additional notes for ftp access.
4. In addition, the front-end account parameters created for you also access the Joomla Admin back-end as additional administrator, and to all our hundreds of modules and plugins. Hope these help? In addition, if you need specific screenshots, do let me know.

Time is of essense indeed. Kindly expedite.

Regards.

9 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ade.

No, our support is based on forum and 8 hrs shifts.

Now I have access to backend but not to JomSocial... so I can't compare what I see in backend and in Frontend.

Error 1054 indicates that some tables in database are missing.

So the issue here is missing groups or 1054?

Thread you're referring to is related with JOOMLA groups (a bug in Joomla!) not JomSocial groups - totally different thing.

With all the respect but I can't debug your site without:

1. Super User access to backend
2. Access to PHPmyAdmin

Without them I couldn't help you. Please read our Support Policy: www.jomsocial.com/support or contact with Support Manager Paul Smith: www.jomsocial.com/community/pauls/profile

Also:

- from what version you upgraded
- do you have safe copy of your site BEFORE upgrade?

9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello.

Here's a quick note to say we're taking a short review/test of the issue and I shall get back to you there-after.

Regards.

9 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ade.

Ok, I'm waiting for results ;)
I'm still want to help you, but like I sai: I need SU access to WHOLE backend and to PHPmyAdmin.

In most cases 1054 pops out after migrating from older version of JomSocial and some records in _community_groups are missing. They could be created manually.

9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal.

Thanks, indeed, for finding time to get back to me. Because this has been my most difficult thread in the last 10 years at the least, please permit me to be a bit detailed regarding your replies. Please read own notes to your comments very carefully.

You: JomSocial 3.2.x.x doesn't support Joomla! ACLs. So you can't limit access to JomSocial for certain user only...

Me: ‘Can’t?' Then I suggest your team works harder to provide this support as promised in your literature.

You: No, our support is based on forum and 8 hrs shifts.

Me: Sadly, I observe that the era of Jomsocial’s Support Tickets are gone, and your limited shift hours now are quite limited indeed. Furthermore, you have no chat solutions, pm, etc. to cater for customers with urgent issues such as these.

You: Now I have access to backend but not to JomSocial... so I can't compare what I see in backend and in Frontend.

Me: Actually, in over 10 years of our doing okay with Joomla, you are the first 3rd party person to ever access our back-end..No 3rd party component moderator ever demanded this hard as a first resort! Also, Jomsocial’s lack of acl support becomes a serious issue at times like this. As you know, some sites are quite carefully complex and not primarily Jomsocial. Also, Jomsocial s scripts, dependent on Joomla cms, are active on different countries with laws requiring different rules, data protection, cultures, perceptions, and other requirements. With Joomla’s new-found complexity in multi-extension, multi-template, multi-use structure, extension developers now politely understand and have found a way to listen and respect clients’ wishes with personal care.

You: Error 1054 indicates that some tables in database are missing…So the issue here is missing groups or 1054?

Me: So you did not find some time to login also to the front-end to test this out ? It’s a 1054 with http 404 error. The issue I see is just as I’d patiently provided (for you) through the special user account. Every group is present within the back-end and the front-end but when the link to view each group is clicked (to view the group) ( ie. … /groups/viewgroup/…), this results in message ‘‘…http 404 error. It appears the page you were looking for doesn't exist…’’

You: Thread you're referring to is related with JOOMLA groups (a bug in Joomla!) not JomSocial groups - totally different thing.

Me: Thanks. I appreciate your observation. Yes, on closer inspection, they are quite different.

You: With all the respect but I can't debug your site without:..1. Super User access to backend…2. Access to PHPmyAdmin…Without them I couldn't help you. Please read our Support Policy…

Me: But how does the policy link relate to, or assist, own unique needs? Where does it say you couldn’t help find the flexible alternative approach toward a solution? All your 4 replies have strongly repeated the importance of your needs. Thanks for this. The only things missing here are my own needs and seeing the private notes provided. You seem to say ‘site’ each time to mean Jomsocial, but as said earlier, Jomsocial is about 10% of own installations (mainly made up of over 30 Joomla and non-Joomla components and scripts, hundreds of plugins, modules, and other databases very carefully nurtured over many years with experience to avoid conflicts), and which worked very well before this upgrade.

Wouldn’t it be wrong to be arm-locked into submitting own company’s entire large operations every single time a bug arises with a Jomsocial upgrade? This is the crux of my worry!

You: Also:- from what version you upgraded

Me: Very good! Questions like this begin to shed some light. I think that this is the real issue. Not exactly sure of the version (done through iJoomla installer) , but I think it’s 3.1.x (around March 2014). Would a good idea be to downgrade? The problem with iJoomla installer is that one never gets a zip copy of these continuous upgrades for retention.

You:…- BEFORE upgrade?do you have safe copy of your site

Yes, but the ‘safe copy’ is virtually useless after over 100 newer content/updates on own installations, and after a week on this thread. Jomsocial is integral to this backup copy.

You: Ok, I'm waiting for results ;)…I'm still want to help you…

Me: Sir, actually, I’m working extra hard to help you to do a good job here…

You: …but like I sai: I need SU access to WHOLE backend and to PHPmyAdmin.

Me: Thanks for repeating this, but I need solutions which do not arm-lock me. I checked own PHPmyAdmin tables _community_groups (with backups that had worked) and they seem intact. But, of course, you would know the Jomsocial tables better…

You: In most cases 1054 pops out after migrating from older version of JomSocial and some records in _community_groups are missing. They could be created manually.

Me: I agree indeed. These issues occurred after an upgrade from, I think, the last release of Jomsocial 3.1.x (to 3.2.6). If you want screenshots of these tables and any other thing, I could pm you. To avoid any mishap as I have seen occur even on these Jomsocial fora, ‘SU access to WHOLE backend and to PHPmyAdmin’ should always, ultimately, be the very very last resort.

Deductions:

1. Please note that other issues arose with this upgrade, also. requiring urgent timely attention. Is it best or safe to downgrade and then re-upgrade systematically, etc...

2. Own other Jomsocial thread opened together with this one would indicate, as it has done over 5 years now, that not everything demands solutions from the back-end as a first resort – www.jomsocial.com/forum/facebook-connect...ith-facebook-connect

3. It’s merely 5years+ since I’ve been using Jomsocial from versions 1.5, but we got by somehow with all the component’s issues and stuck with loyalty. Current issues have cost us dearly. Kindly, please, attend with creative flexibility so we may move on to other things.

I thank you very much for your time and urgently await patient proactive solutions.

Best regards.

9 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ade.

I've read your answer very carefully as you requested :)

1. Please, take a look on JomSocial roadmap: www.jomsocial.com/features/road-map
We promised that ACL will be supported in JS 4.3, so we really work hard to do as scheduled.

2. Well, it's really not up to me... that's why I advised you to contact with Support Manager: Paul Smith.

3. I understand that some sites have strict Privacy Policies - the same thing is in Poland, some user data are vulnerable and access to them is limited. But please undarstand: JomSocial has built in debug tools to which I need have access too, you also didn't provided specifications of your system: Joomla version, JomSocial version. You also said that "All groups have disappeared.". Then how could I compare if that what I see on frontend is also present on backend? If groups are gone from frontend only? Is this frontend issue.

It's just like asking mechanic to repair car engine by phone...

4. Of course I logged in to frontend. I logged to both ends at the same time. I saw issue on frontend. Notice displayed on frontend is a bit vague as it should say exactly what tables are missing or at least what query was sent.

6. But all this thread is focused on your needs - I'm just asking you to provide me "tools" to help you. This is your need to provide me access as you want me to fix your issue.

Without access to at least your database I can't fix it my self... BUT I guess what could be a possible solution here. Since 1054 apply to groups, some tables are missing there. I can't say exactly which one - as I can't look at them, but again take a look on similar reports for other users and solution we provided:

www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/157...-t-open-groups#79710
www.jomsocial.com/forum/groups/19741-una...ion-in-groups#100257
www.jomsocial.com/forum/groups/18768-get...1054-on-groups#98783
www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/209...-select-count#105769

And here how table _community_groups should look like prntscr.com/65r05p

Now check what tables are missing and create them manually.

9 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi.

Thanks for getting back. While waiting and worried, by Friday, I thought to back-trace the beginning of this bug through the versions and then attempt a fix from there if possible. This seems reasonable, while making the hack/PHPmyAdmin the last option. I shall get back to you with a debrief. I now see that this issue is definitely from version 3.1.x...

Best.

9 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ade.

Ok, I'm waiting for update. Please, make sure that after you answer, thread has "Pending Support" status so I could see it on my list.

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Ade
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi.

I shall get back later about other related matters. For now, I have the urgency to solve this issue! I wish that Jomsocial didn’t become this problematic. It’s not fun anymore to upgrade. I’m tearing my hair out and wondering about these upgrade bits which have undone good jobs of many years for us. This is certainly one of them! Compared to the lower versions with their issues, these current versions are less robust and very buggy indeed;

Own Joomla version is 3.3.6 Stable. Database version is 5.5.40-cll.

The viewgroup link was perfect in Jomsocial 3.1.x and the issue began with the first upgrade to Jomsocial 3.2. I've taken a very close look at the many bugs resulting from this upgrade. On the issues at hand, I tried all the 'tricks' in the book: back-tracked to earlier Jomsocial versions which worked, tried manual upgrades by each version, tried Joomla/Jomsocial debug system, tried with Firebug; installed component afresh with iJommla installer, un-installed and then re-installed, tried with many templates including core Joomla ones, tried an old hack, and finally did the tiered upgrade with the installer - all to no avail.

I checked/compared own xxx_community_groups with your screen-capture and both matched. Please see a complete shot of own _community_groups at www.mysite/php-myadmin-database-tables.html . Am I missing something here?

All groups are present in Jomsocial backend, and apart from …/viewgroup/…, every link involving groups works in the frontend (ie. My Groups tab; All Groups; My Group Updates; Pending Invitations; Search; Create).

Finally, I had to conclude that this is a viewgroup error; attempting to reference a value of an array that does not exist.

Running the Joomla! Debug Console on a viewgroup page, I noticed only 1 error in own database Query : Unknown column 'groupid' in 'where clause' SQL=EXPLAIN SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `xxx_community_files` WHERE `groupid` = '1'
[This is a bit similar to: www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/168...ql-select-count-from but the solution was not shown and was inconclusive in this thread].

I tried your 2 solutions ( www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/157...-t-open-groups#79710 and www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/177...l-select-count#90371 ). Then I got error in phpMyAdmin, ie:

Error
SQL query:
ALTER TABLE 'xxxt_community_files' ADD 'groupid' INT(11) NOT NULL
MySQL said:
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''xxx_community_files' ADD 'groupid' INT(11) NOT NULL' at line 1

However, I also noticed that there were many other bugs reported in the fora concerning coding of the viewgroup/views files resulting in viewgroup errors, eg. in views.php, etc. Could these be the culprit?

It’s well past 1 month of hell. Where do we go from here?!

Regards.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński