Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Installer returns to beginning no matter what I try& I've about had enough!

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired Socialize Expired

Ok here goes.

I've got an on going issue with waiting for a bug fix on the import of .ics calendars in to my sites JS Events and today received notification this bugfix has been sorted and that a new version of JS has been released with this in, that I should update.

So big deep breath as the whole update process of JS is and what has previously let it down in my eyes, no doubt many other people looking at the topics about it and here's why and what I've done to try and update;

I renamed my Menu Item to My Account1 instead of My Account and type as jomsocial_old instead of jomsocial.

I then went in to phpmyadmin and ran the following query;

DELETE FROM __menu WHERE link like '%com_community%'
replacing the first _ above with my database prefix.

I also updated my VPS server to have 'connect_timeout = 120' yet my JS installer is still determining it's 10 when I know it isn't, even after rebooting my VPS.

In my disgust after reading another post on here about the installer going back to the beginning, where the advice was to uninstall JS and re-install, I've done that and still no joy on installing 100% smoothly.

I just don't know what else I can do, the whole upgrade process takes the biscuit, it should be SEAMLESS, QUICK and most of all PAIN FREE... I've been saying for 8 months JS need to be working on this to make it a lot more user friendly, as a lot of people's problems are surrounding this very issue, mine included.

Can you please have a look for me and see if you can get it to install the latest 3.1.2.4, as currently my site is down where anything JS is related.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Robert.

Recommended method to upgrade:

0. Make a safe copy of your whole system (files and database)
1. Browse to Backend -> Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Manage
2. Search all extensions using filter "com"
3. Uninstall all JomSocial related extensions
4. Search all extensions using filter "jom"
5. Uninstall all JomSocial related extensions
6. Download latest JomSocial package from here: www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses
7. Unzip it
8. Install com_community package via Joomla! installer
9. Follow installation steps
10. Install iJoomla installer for future version check and upgrade.

After that you'll need to do a menu fix also:

When you upgrading JomSocial menu items in JomSocial toolbar lost "connection" with component. Joomla! mark them as disabled and with notice: "Component 'com_community' does not exist". In order to fix it please follow this instruction:

- click on menu item in JomSocial menu in order to edit it
- when in edit mode don't change anything
- save
- menu item should be fixed
- do it for every JomSocial related menu items (if needed) in all other menus

It was posted on forum many times... please, try it.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Michal,

Thanks for the reply but I have to add that I've done as you directed even if it's a ludicrously long winded way to update a component and the longest update requirement I know of MANY that I use.

Therefore, now ijoomlainstaller is telling me that my JS is up to date with the latest 3.2.1.4 yet the menu admin menu item isn't appearing, even after clearing caches and so forth.

Also my JS pages on my website are still down, so it seems it still isn't installing correctly... this is like pulling a mouthful of teeth for christ sake.

As for it's been said many times on the forum before, maybe but I can't comment on this as I've always tried to stick to a previous topic I started towards a year ago upon my first encounter with the massively clunky update method; see here: www.jomsocial.com/forum/installation/120...-tearing-my-hair-out & r.e. Menu Item Missing: www.jomsocial.com/forum/technical-issues...in-menu-item-missing

However, none of these things I've followed including yours seem to be sorting it or I wouldn't be wasting my "Valuable" time to write these posts to you guys, give me some credit!

Regards,

Michal Dluzak wrote: Hi, Robert.

Recommended method to upgrade:

0. Make a safe copy of your whole system (files and database)
1. Browse to Backend -> Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Manage
2. Search all extensions using filter "com"
3. Uninstall all JomSocial related extensions
4. Search all extensions using filter "jom"
5. Uninstall all JomSocial related extensions
6. Download latest JomSocial package from here: www.jomsocial.com/component/digistore/licenses
7. Unzip it
8. Install com_community package via Joomla! installer
9. Follow installation steps
10. Install iJoomla installer for future version check and upgrade.

After that you'll need to do a menu fix also:

When you upgrading JomSocial menu items in JomSocial toolbar lost "connection" with component. Joomla! mark them as disabled and with notice: "Component 'com_community' does not exist". In order to fix it please follow this instruction:

- click on menu item in JomSocial menu in order to edit it
- when in edit mode don't change anything
- save
- menu item should be fixed
- do it for every JomSocial related menu items (if needed) in all other menus

It was posted on forum many times... please, try it.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Robert.

I'm really sorry to say that, but you whole site seems to be messed up;
1. In menus no item is marked as default
2. Some of components are missing:
- Component 'com_comprofiler' does not exist
- Component 'com_uddeim' does not exist

So in my opinion it needs an overhaul... but I'd like to help you with JomSocial issue. I'll need access to PHPmyAdmin.
I presume it's a live site? So may I reinstall JomSocial... or you rather prefer to set a test site first?

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Michal,

Thank you for the reply.

My site was fine until last nights hair pulling attempt to upgrade to the latest version of JS, however in light of this attempts problems I have restored my site to 24 hours ago and all is well, albeit is the 3.2.1.1 version of JS

Therefore as it's acting properly on the previous version (not latest) you will find a default menu item, also I'm not aware of any need for com_uddeim or com_comprofiler as the latter is from when I used to use Community Builder until I decided to go with JS and the former was a CB add-on for private messaging?

Yes it's a live site but it's fine to update to the latest version of JS.

I will update the first post in this topic to include phpmyadmin login credentials and yes you are fine to see if you can install the latest version and have better luck than I do please.

R.E. your previous mention of update methods, I am under the impression that ijoomlainstaller is to be used to update any current JS install or other ijoomla product and this is what I was also trying to use / do without success.

Anyway, any problems then please don't hesitate to contact me and I will speak directly with the development team via the "future features request" service, and see if something can be done in the future to make the whole JS upgrade of a current installation a much more seamless and user friendly, straight forward process which unfortunately it currently isn't. :(

Regards,
Rob

I'm really sorry to say that, but you whole site seems to be messed up;
1. In menus no item is marked as default
2. Some of components are missing:
- Component 'com_comprofiler' does not exist
- Component 'com_uddeim' does not exist

So in my opinion it needs an overhaul... but I'd like to help you with JomSocial issue. I'll need access to PHPmyAdmin.
I presume it's a live site? So may I reinstall JomSocial... or you rather prefer to set a test site first?

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Robert.

Ok, just to make it clear:

1. I'll make a safe copy of your site with Akeeba Backup
2. Then proceed with JomSocial upgrade
3. ALL hacks done to CORE FILES or customizations done without override will be LOST

Si if something goes wrong or you'll be not happy with upgrade (and lost of customizations) you will be able to restore previous version from safe copy.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Robert.

OK, now I know what is going on. Installer falls in loop because can't unzip packages on server. Installs admin panel, created few new tables... but can't unzip files... for some reason.

Please, suspend your site for a moment. I assign developer to this thread with HIGH priority.

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Michal,

Thanks for the reply, I apologise about the delay in replying I had to attend a work function for the evening.

Ok, if there's anything you need me to check r.e. my VPS servers settings for zip files or how it handles them etc, then please don't hesitate to let me know.

I knew it was stuck in a loop as per previous messages but I just couldn't understand why it was doing it, even after trying to update the ways that sort of previously worked and also the way you mentioned early on up in this topic.

All will come out in the wash as they say and hopefully a satisfactory resolution for both parties can and will be found and then onwards and upwards for me and my site... with working ical.ics imports in to groups... I can't wait haha! :)

Regards,
Rob

OK, now I know what is going on. Installer falls in loop because can't unzip packages on server. Installs admin panel, created few new tables... but can't unzip files... for some reason.

Please, suspend your site for a moment. I assign developer to this thread with HIGH priority.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Robert,

I can installing the Jomsocial without any issue. please check it, now the Jomsocial already at latest version 3.2.1.4
I found your guest frontpage not override properly, got missing image. I made temporary fixes for you:
/templates/socialize/html/com_community/frontpage.guests.php line 13:

$heroImage = JURI::root().'components/com_community/templates/default/images/swswsws_guest-bg.jpg';
you put swswsws_guest-bg at wrong location, because I can't find that image so i took other image that i can found. and here the changes
$heroImage = JURI::root().'/templates/socialize/html/com_community/swswsws_cover.jpg';
I put image under /templates/socialize/html/com_community/swswsws_cover.jpg

please changing it with swswsws_guest-bg.jpg

Regards,
Albert

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Good Morning Albertus,

Thank you for the reply and especially thank you for being able to upgrade my site to latest 3.2.1.4. May I ask, for future upgrades, what is the process I need to follow.

It is my understanding as I already have a current working copy of JS in place, I should / can use the iJoomlaInstaller, would I be correct in this assumption please?

If so, what are the pre-requisites for upgrading via iJoomlaInstaller or is there any specific iJoomlaInstaller Upgrading JS version documentation anywhere that details this, so hopefully I don't experience these issues again and leave you to support other members?

Now regards the hero_bg image, I did recall placing it incorrectly but forgive my lack of understanding in the sense of when you guys sometimes explain things, as we're from different countries it can be hard to read through what a person means through the language / way of saying things barrier. :)

I will replace your temporary image you kindly did as directed in your reply to me.

Thank you once again, I can breath easy again.

P.S. While the majority of this topic issue is fixed, I've placed it as "My problem is not fixed" just for now until I hear back from you with clarification of my future upgrade method(s).

Regards,
Rob

Albertus wrote: Hi Robert,

I can installing the Jomsocial without any issue. please check it, now the Jomsocial already at latest version 3.2.1.4
I found your guest frontpage not override properly, got missing image. I made temporary fixes for you:
/templates/socialize/html/com_community/frontpage.guests.php line 13:

$heroImage = JURI::root().'components/com_community/templates/default/images/swswsws_guest-bg.jpg';
you put swswsws_guest-bg at wrong location, because I can't find that image so i took other image that i can found. and here the changes
$heroImage = JURI::root().'/templates/socialize/html/com_community/swswsws_cover.jpg';
I put image under /templates/socialize/html/com_community/swswsws_cover.jpg

please changing it with swswsws_guest-bg.jpg

Regards,
Albert

9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Robert,

for jomsocial upgrade can be done easily by using upgrade button at iJoomlaInstaller. here the links:
www.jomsocial.com/blog/new-ijoomla-installer
documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/IJoomla_Installer_Installation

Regards,
Albert

The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński