Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

Socialize & JS Overrides (solved)

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active Socialize Expired

I have a new installation of Joomla 3.2, JomSocial with the Socialize template. I created an override folder for JomSocial per the directions on your site, however Firebug shows that the overrides are being overwritten by the original file (style.css). When I switch to the Protostar template, everything works as it should. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Devin

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Devin Pixel.

Could you update information about your domain and link to administration panel?
thekarmasociety.com and dev.thekarmasociety.com/administrator seems not working any more.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Sorry about that Michal, I installed the site on another dev server but there was a typo in the DNS records. It works now, but the error still persists, even with a brand new install.

Thanks,

Devin.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Devin Pixel.

Ok, so let's do it in other way. It's great that you're using Socialize. We can use its customization feature :)
I checked it via FTP. In your Socialize there was no custom.css. So I added it (look for it in templates/socialize/css).
It's visible now: <link rel="stylesheet" href="/templates/socialize/css/custom.css" type="text/css" />
Now you can place your custom code to that file.
Just like I did to turn logo/slogan into red :)

.logo-text h1 a {
	color: red;	
	font-family: ‘Courier New’, Courier, monospace !important;
	}

And after upgrade (neither JomSocial or Socialize template) you won't loose your custom css.
Also you can delete templates/socialize/html/com_community/css/style.css you'll not need it anymore :)

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

The custom.css changes the Socialize template just fine, but the JomSocial styles added in custom.css are still being overwritten by style.css in the com_community folder.

Attachment Capture.PNG not found

Thanks,
Devin

Attachments:
10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Devin Pixel.

Ok, so this is css styling issue rather than JomSocial itself.
Try to use "!important" or create a string of classes like ".main_class #community-wrap .cAlert".
I added "background-color: #D8A9E4 !important;" does it do the thing?

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Yes, !important does it, but I plan on making significant changes and thought there must be a more elegant solution. I've never experienced this with template overrides before (T3, Gantry, etc.) and it works fine when I switch it over to Protostar or Beez3. I'm starting to feel that my $99 could have been better spent on something else.

Thanks,
Devin

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

I figured it out... it's the top-header toolbar that's causing the weird overrides. When I unpublish it, the JomSocial custom.css changes work. I'll just keep it off while I'm designing it, which is a reasonable workaround, though I hope that it gets sorted out in time for the next planned release date.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Devin Pixel.

Please be aware that this is not an issue related to JomSocial or Socialize template. This is just how css works.
Use "!important" or wrap divs in new div with your own classes. Then use strings of class names to set their new values.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

When I disable the new Socialize community toolbar module, all of the overrides work just fine! It *is* the toolbar, not a normal css issue. You have my credentials, so please feel free to verify my claims for yourself.

Frustrated,

Devin

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Devin Pixel.

I think it's solved now :)

You forgot to delete or disable: /templates/socialize/html/com_community/css/style.css
I just added -old to name folder and now even if toolbar is enabled you can modify custom.css without !important.

Please confirm.

10 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

That was it, Michal! It makes perfect sense to me now. The @import rule in html/com_community/style.css caused the site to go bonkers. Removing that file makes the overrides in custom.css works like a charm. Incidentally, .php overrides work fine in html/com_community too.

Thank you for your time and patience.

- Devin

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński