Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Profiles not loading for non-logged users

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

You can test on this test environment.
It has both caches off, not friendly URL, no .htaccess, no other components

test26.brejas.com.br/

credentials are the same.
I tried to upgrade to Joomla 3.5 to see if it would fix the problem but it persists.

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

please revert back all changes that you do during your tests, last time you left my production environment in a different state.

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Dimas

I hired an external developer, Andrzej Godziuk <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>, to take a look and he found the problem, here is his answer:

I think I've found what the problem is. It's a bug in JomSocial.
I have a theory why it was triggered by Joomla update but I'll keep it to myself, I didn't check if it's correct.

The profiles are still rather inefficient:
test26.brejas.com.br/index.php?option=co...rid=11690&Itemid=811
test26.brejas.com.br/index.php?option=co...rid=14999&Itemid=811
but they don't die of timeout any more (it was a timeout).

I've also patched the live site:
www.brejas.com.br/perfil/14999-jefferson-chicone

The problem was: for some reason, when viewing other user's profile,
JomSocial fetches covers for all your albums from database.
The bug is: when you're not logged in, it fetches covers for all albums
system wide (and, because it's badly written, it does it at least 3
times). There are >1200 albums for your website, so this took some time...

My fix is: check if the viewer is logged in, if not - return an empty
list of album covers.

This is not necessarily a proper fix for everyone, but it works for
Brejas site.

The fix is in components/com_community/models/photos.php line 788.

It cost me 0 for this and he, an external developer with no experience at all with JomSocial, found the problem in 3 hours.
It's not the first time that I keep insisting that JomSocial has a bug and the JomSocial team can't find it and I ended up loosing a lot of time and money to make it work. Same thing happened around Facebook Connect some time ago, you can check my posts.

8 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Thank you, I really really appreciate it.. I will ask this to our developer to apply the patch..

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

For what I understood, it's more than a patch. It seems that the whole code is not well done and it's using much more queries than necessary.
I'd say that most of your clients are running JomSocial on shared hosting and you should pay attention to things like this.

I'm sad that none of the members of JomSocial pay attention to customer complaints.
It's the second time that I point out a bug that you simply ignore.

Saying that you appreciate is not enough to pay for all my time trying to solve it and the $250 that I had to pay to get it fixed, something that JomSocial support was again and again trying to say that it was my fault, my menus, my htaccess and so on.

How can I talk to someone through email about this?
Could someone please get in touch?

Thank you

8 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Ricardo ,

This is very rare issue since we never faced this issue before, most of simliar issue caused by htaccess, menu configuration and cache, and will be helpful if we can see the error log first... so thats why I asked them first, beside that you have lot of alias menu, I am afraid to touch them, but at least you give me the test site for testing it, and then you reply the fix by hire 3rd party developer before we check the test site :)

but well, In that time we are trying to help you, and the point is we really didnt ignore this issue.. but indeed some of issue need more time to know whats going on :)

have a great weekend anyway.
thank you!

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Dimas, it's been 7 days from the time I reported to the date I was able to solve the problem.
My server was going down because of your poor written code. I could not wait for 7 days for a critical issue.

There weren't any error logs, that's why I could not share any with you, nor my hosting provider.
All answers I got from support were always saying that I had to do something.

How can a 3rd party developer take 3 hours to find a bug, which I already had taken the time to narrow down to profile for unauth users, and the JomSocial support, supposedly the experts, can't find in 7 days?

It's not fair that I pay the price to debug your code on what I consider a critical bug.
I wanted to talk to someone from JomSocial in private please.

How can you help me?

thank you

8 years 1 month ago
  • Dimas
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi,

I already escalated this topic, you will talk with paul or michal, and i hope you will get discount for next renewal :)

Thank you

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Dimas, nobody got in touch with me. Could you take a look please?
thanks

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ricardo.

Please, contact me privately at michael [at] ijoomla.com.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

thanks Michal
Email just sent.

8 years 1 month ago
Licenses:

Hi, lads.

Case i solved :)

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński