Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

User's Timezone Ignored - All Postings give UTC time instead

9 years 10 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

After reading every timezone support topic I went through and made sure none of the issues other users apply to us.

• The server show the timezone is set for UTC
  • Jomsocial is set for UTC

I was able to confirm the user's timezone is set correctly. I logged in under a test user (Dixie) and went to the account details page and confirmed the user's timezone is correctly set for Los Angeles.

However, when I post anything as this user, it is defaulting to the UTC timezone, and ignoring the user's timezone. The time for each post is showing up 7 hours in the future, which unless Marty McFly has done something that isn't right. This is the last major issue we have before we send out a large marketing campaign to our 130,000 fans on facebook.

I do understand there was an update in 3.2.0.7, we have upgraded to the latest release, however we are now using our own template com_community/templates/socialpups (instead of overriding every file in default template) If there was already a fix for this issue, can you please be so kind as to let me know what files we need to update in our own template to fix this issue?

Thank you in advance

9 years 10 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ryan.

I advise to switch from fixed time display to lapsed.
Fixed time will be deprecated in future releases.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Ryan.

After a research I can tell you that EVERYTHING posted in Joomla! has time in UTC or in unix time stamp as this is only safe method of saving and calculating time. Time is saved in UTC in data base and then in code is calculated to user time according to user time zone set in Joomla! account (or Global Settings).

Read this article for instance: compojoom.com/blog/entry/how-to-use-jdate

So also JomSocial store date and time in UTC. Time was never meant to be displayed on stream. But as we alowe users to set any date format in configuration - you decided to display time... which will be in UTC as we don't recalculate it on stream.

That is why I said this feature will be deprecated in future releases.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

We fixed the issue. From the forum there are many other users with the same issues. Please add this to lines 270-273 in components\com_community\tables\activity.php to baseline.

$user = JFactory::getUser();
$timezone = $user->getParam('timezone');
if($timezone) date_default_timezone_set($timezone);
$this->created = date ('Y-m-d H:i:s');

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński