Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Can't use space and special characters in username

10 years 3 months ago
    Topic Author
  • thomas
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Can't use space and special characters in username -what can i do? space in the name is a must for me

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hi Thomas

With latest updates of Joomla, they removed ability to register new users with spaces and special characters.
To keep consistency with Joomla, we had to follow as well

Thanks

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When you think you found the bug, try to replicate it on a fresh Joomla.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Sinisa

the problem with spaces in username was solved by joomla team with version 2.5.17 see here .
But a registration with jomsocial and a username with space in it still does not work thus there is also a problem with existing profiles.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I found a solution and it works for me:

components/com_community/helpers/validate.php

find in line 54:

return (!preg_match( "/[<>\"'%;()& ]/i" , $username ) && JString::strlen( $username )  > 0 );

change the line with:
return (!preg_match( "/[<>\"'%;()&]/i" , $username ) && JString::strlen( $username )  > 0 );

Is this a bug or a feature? Or don't notice that the joomla team "Reverting not allowing spaces inside username"

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

... but there is another problem:

a space at first or last sign and the sign \ should not be allowed

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

As I read this the differnce between the two strings are the space between & and ] - is that correct?

The thing is that in my version of the validate.php teh space is not there.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

correct

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Well, they are changing it to often :)

I will notify the developers about this

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I understand that you need to follow Joomla.

The problem just is, that when you disallow special characters, you disallow a wide range of letters from non-english alphabets - such as the scandinavian alphabets. This is absolutely not optimal.

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

@ Morten... Did you fix this issue with the code above from Thomy? I am looking for a fix and was wondering if you tried putting that code in line #54?

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

I know guys, i come from eastern Europe where we extensively use čćžšđ and similar but the thing is, is that Joomla for quite some time now trying to remove the special characters and spaces from usernames, however, whenever they try, a vast horde of community comes complaining.
I was speaking about this with many members of Joomla! PLT and even on some Joomla days, and the only (and most valid) reason why usernames should never have the special characters in them ais database consistency which i support too (although i use special characters as well)

However, as you said, we need to bind to Joomla rules, so if they reverted it back, we have to as well :)

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hi Sinisa,
I think they reverted it back with joomla version 2.5.17 ?!

10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Well, actually Joomla 2.5.x shouldnt be affected at all.
This change was planned as final in Joomla 3.0 but obviously it is hard to be implemented.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński