Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

JomSocial + mobile app = Awesome? But is there a solution?

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Sriram
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi,

Understand this has been asked by others before. Responses were not convincing so asking again. And perhaps other JomSocial users can help/ recommend appropriately.

I've been exploring a mobile app solution "that actually works and is updated frequently" for JomSocial. It's scary to read all the negative comments around most solutions on offer (esp. iJoomer). Scarier to find that their apps were last updated in 2012/2013 (iTunes documentation).

Don't want to debate facts here but is there a solution? Will JomSocial 4.0 work natively with mobile devices like an app or still browser based access? Any solution in pipeline?

Cheers!

9 years 2 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Sriram,

Other than who you have mentioned i am not aware of any other providers. Jomsocial 4 is very good on a mobile. you can visit our community on your mobile and see it working live

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Sriram
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Thanks Paul. With Jomsocial 4 is it still browser based access for mobile? or app based?

That said, dilemma continues on which provider can provide a reasonably good mobile app for use with Jomsocial.

Cheers!

9 years 2 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Sriram,

Jomsocial 4 is completely browser based. Would you mind telling me what you feel is the benifit of an app, i know that may sound like a rather odd question and a lot of users ask for an app. I am curios what you think it the main advantages to using an app instead of good browser based mobile design

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Sriram
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Sure Paul. Here we go (by no means a comprehensive list of reasons):

1) Firstly it's user engagement and ease of use. Statistics ( www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/m...arketing-statistics/ ) show that for media time spent on mobile - 89% for mobile apps vs. 11% for mobile web.

2) Intuitive. I personally can't remember when I accessed a website from mobile. Maps is different but we have apps for that.

3) Productivity and sync-up: Calendars, reminders, events sync-up to iCal/ gcal/ pcal [a personal calendar :-)] etc. is just simple and intuitive. Export to iCal feature doesn't work when testing using iPad on JS 4.0.

4) Device preference by time of day: Mobiles & tablets dominate the time of day preference when I expect my users to be engaged the most. Same report link above (Comscore).

5) User experience. Can be differentiated on web vs. mobile. Not just present a mobile responsive template. If it takes >3sec to load page on mobile, users drop off.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure others can contribute more reasons.

Cheers!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Manser
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński