Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Is it possible to re-send Members Login Credentials?

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired Socialize Expired

Hi All,

I'm wanting to know if it's possible within JS to re-send ALL MEMBERS their login credentials.

The reason I ask this is because I've had a number of problems on my site that are now sorted and there's been a dramatic drop off, with some members saying they can't find there original login info.

Plus there was a problem with the Self activation system, so I was advised recently to turn this off and have the system auto activate / enable etc.

Maybe this is built in and I can't locate this kind of feature or is there a plugin out there already that will aid me in this respect, or some other way?

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Regards,
Rob

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Robert.

NO, you can't do that. The only moment when user credentials - especially password can be send: during registration in email notification. And in this case password is taken as text right from registration form.

After that password is encrypted with MD5 with addition of so called "encryption salt" and stored in database. It can't be de-crypted anymore. It's one way process.

During login password is ecrypted again, encryption salt is added and result is compered to string in database. If it's correct then you're logged in.

So due to encryption method you can't resend users their password.

But user can restore both username and password. each login form in JomSocial has those options as links below: Forgot Username? Forgot Password?

So user can restore credentials themselves... Or you can do it manually for each account... That are the only solution.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Robert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired Socialize Expired

Hi Michal,

Thanks for the reply and understood now I know more of the mechanics, which makes sense but I wanted to check.

I will simply mail all users to reset their username / password if they haven't still got a copy of their sign up confirmation etc.

Regards,
Rob

Michal Dluzak wrote: Hi, Robert.

NO, you can't do that. The only moment when user credentials - especially password can be send: during registration in email notification. And in this case password is taken as text right from registration form.

After that password is encrypted with MD5 with addition of so called "encryption salt" and stored in database. It can't be de-crypted anymore. It's one way process.

During login password is ecrypted again, encryption salt is added and result is compered to string in database. If it's correct then you're logged in.

So due to encryption method you can't resend users their password.

But user can restore both username and password. each login form in JomSocial has those options as links below: Forgot Username? Forgot Password?

So user can restore credentials themselves... Or you can do it manually for each account... That are the only solution.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński