Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Upgrade from 3.2.1.6 to 4.0.5

8 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired Socialize Expired

ISSUE SUMMARY:

I upgraded my Jomsocial to the latest using a new template on my production site, I have tried this on a test site with no issues. However once live and users starting to connect my server CPU usage went through the roof and many users started getting the error 503.

I reviewed my error logs and came across many entries like this: mod_fcgid: can't apply process slot for /var/www/cgi-bin/cgi_wrapper/cgi_wrapper

I reviewed my fcgid.conf and all is correct, I also tried increasing the max processes however this only delayed the above messages. Once I uninstalled Jomsocial my server resources returned to normal and the cgi errors stopped. I then reinstalled 3.2.1.6 and again no issue.

It seems something is causing a major issue with Jomsocial 4.0.5 for me, my PHP version is 5.5.23

My PHP limits all exceed the recommended levels for Jomsocial too

8 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Alan,

error 503, is a server side issue. please contact server support for more assistance.

Regards

8 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Albertus

As I have explained this issue only occurs when I upgrade to Jomsocial 4.0.5

Error 503 is a result of the server being overloaded, many issues can cause this including problems within a PHP script or software. As this only happens when installing Jomsocial 4.0.5 and immediately returns to normal when using 3.2.1.6 it seems to me this problem is related to Jomsocial somehow

I don't find your response satisfactory

8 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

HI Alan,

please edit your first post at this topic. and put any credentials information at site info form. I need to login at administrator page.

Regards

8 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Done

8 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Albertus

I have narrowed down the cause to the way Jomsocial handles the auto refreshing of notifications, my site has too much traffic to even have them refresh at 20 second intervals

Please advise if this PHP method can be improved for larger sites.

8 years 11 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Alan.

Did you tried to increase interval here:

Backend -> Components -> JomSocial -> Configuration -> Site -> Walls -> Interval Time to Check for Latest Status

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
8 years 11 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Michal

Yes I also tried turning that off, and also infinite scrolling, I also disabled hello me and mod_notify and all 3rd party plugins, but I use very few anyway

I have reverted back to 3.2.1.6 again, sadly I can't reproduce on a test site with little traffic.

The moment I downgrade everything returns to normal.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew
8 years 11 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Just FYI , 3.2.1.6 uses the same stream and notification library

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When you think you found the bug, try to replicate it on a fresh Joomla.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
8 years 3 days ago
    Topic Author
  • Alan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi

I have again attempted to carry out this upgrade, I first upgraded to 4.00 then latest 4.1.x. Unfortunately the same happens with my CPU usage going through the roof. I created a clean Joomla & Jomsocial install on a subdomain with no other plugins, default template and directed my usual traffic to it - same result, CPU overload

I used to use fastcgi and on some advice changed to php-fpm, this has had little improvement.

I am unable to leave my website on 4.1.x for any length of time as it affects my website too greatly.

I have reviewed server error log files, mysql error logs and even mysql sloq query log and found nothing.

I run a dedicated server 12GB Ram, 4 core Inten xeon so I have more than enough power.

I really am at a loss, a developer friend of mine reviewed my server and spent 3 hours trying to find the cause but also couldn't

The only thing causing this is the simple upgrade from Jomsocial 3.2.1.6 to 4.x

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński