Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Old JS Group Back-End Group Creation Function

8 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alex
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active iSEO Expired Socialize Expired

Hey,

Just a quick question about old JS back-end group creation function and info about being able to upload .csv file in back-end to allow for large one time population of groups.

Not too long ago in JS back-end it was possible to make groups in back-end and configure settings.

I agree events should only ever be created through front-end of JS, but why did you guys decide to do the same for groups?

I am in the process of gathering course catalogs from colleges and making .csv file for name of course as course group and course info as group details.

What is the format I have to follow to allow the course groups to be populated correctly?

And would there be a way to automatically upload an avatar picture and cover photo for course group categories such as math, physics, electrical engineering, chemistry etc???

Thanks!

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Alex.

Most Community actions are happening at frontend. Also moderation take place at frontend so admins/moderator don't have to use backend. That why we decided to move most options to frontend thus being a member of Community admins may act without switching to backend.

I'm not sure if I understood you right.
You want to use CSV to bulk create groups?

In my opinion the best way will be to use PHPmyAdmin then and execute SQL query that will contain all necessary data. You may prepare SQL. You may use csv to sql converter: www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-sql.htm

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex
8 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alex
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Okay thank you.

Yes I agree having admin/moderators in front-end quickly approve new groups is easier than back-end and allows the admin/moderators to be a part of community.

And yes I was wondering about bulk create group in back-end of JS.

Thank you for providing me with the best method :)

I was going to email colleges for course catalog data in excel or whatever format they had to give me and then convert excel to .csv or whatever they gave me into .csv and then upload in back-end of JS groups area.

I am not sure how execute the SQL query, but I will have to learn how to do this.

So you suggest get the data into .csv and then convert that to SQL and add it into the PHPmyAdmin database manually?

Tips on how to do this? :)

And if not doing this manually what would the option to upload in the back-end of JS groups area do?

For now I will have to test out both methods and learn to how to do this manually.

I will look into the structure of how groups are organized in database and see if I can figure it out if not maybe you can help me? :)

If I get the .csv file would this be easy for you to do?

Thanks!

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Alex.

Doing this via PHPmyAdmin is one method.
But the best one will be using backend csv import.
I see that we lack documentation regarding this method.
So, please, let me contact with our developers and I'll provide you with example csv file ASAP.
So please, hold on ;)

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex
8 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Alex
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Okay thank you very much, and no worries no rush I just figured I'd ask so I can get help figuring out this next step to my website project :)

So I guess both methods would work for populating group title and details, but hope there is options to configure group population in back-end for full control over admin group creation.

Ideally I would like to be able to have one style of different course group categories such as math, physics, chemistry etc and have each one have the same avatar and cover picture.

Then of course group title and description.

As for who created group I could just have it be under me the superuser profile OR would there be a way to not have it be ANY creator and just have the groups there populated for my users before they even join site?

Some groups could be user created with admin approval with correct user profile creator, but it would be nice to have all the other back-end created groups just there without needing to give authorship/creator, but I understand this is more custom work and do not mind having the superuser be author/creator for course groups.

So far though everything on my site looks really good and I'm really excited to be officially launching website soon so thank you guys for helping me build and develop my website so far :D

8 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Alex.

Format of CSV file should be following:

name, privacy, short desc, full desc, category_id

Privacy can only be 1 or 0 where 1 means closed group and 0 public.

I attached demo file.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński