Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Event Summary not displayed, notifications message blank, comments box not

9 years 7 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired AdAgency Expired iSEO Expired Socialize Expired

Hi,

We have several issues occuring with Events........

1) Event Summary is not being displayed in Event Details or anywhere we can find - where is it disappearing to?

2) If I create a group event or non-group event, and someone comments in its stream then no Email notification comes to tell me someone commented on the Event,( even though my email notification Preferences are ticked "New comment in your group activity" and "new group streams" and "new comment in your event activity"). There is also nothing showing in the mail queue for this.

eg If X creates an event in a group, and Y comments = no notification to X. If Z replies to Ys comment, then Z gets a notification but not X

I don't understand why Z comment triggers an email but not Y's?

- Is there a bug? Or please tell me how to get email notifications of comments in events I myself created (group events and non-group events)? Is my event not considered a 'group activity'? I feel that notifications are not working properly?

NB ---> We have turned off the Activity stream in groups and on profiles and the Home Page Activity stream as we don't want status updates, just discussion and announcements. But we want a stream for Events. Has this affected the notifications? How can we get notifications to work so that when someone comments in an event the event owner receives notification?

3) Notification Email arrives blank for "Z commented in your event stream" for community Events created (not in a group)

Again, X created event, Y commented, Z replied.

Z's replies have triggered email notifications of 'Comment on your event stream' to Y, but they arrive with the message box blank (and the message can be seen in the mail queue as blank) - please see mail queue and consult front end of the website, as the comments are there in the front end but not back end mail queue? This is specifically when someone replies to a comment in the event stream of a non-group event. The email received is also strange because in gmail the Jomsocial box is not

4) In Group events People cannot see the comment box until after they respond, even though we have chosen the Walls Configuration 'only responders can write in events' :NO (I am assuming that that Walls Configuration should cover Group Events as well as other Events......surely?!)

5) So in Group Events you need to respond to be able to Comment. BUT, even when you respond, you still don't see the comment box, because the screen doesn't refresh automatically. So even if you click on Recent Activities or something else on the page you cannot get the comment box, so you don't know it is there and it will only appear if you go to another page and return. (if you are the first person to respond to an event this is always the case as the Comment box hasn't appeared yet!. sometimes if someone else responded you can see the comment box, but not always)

How can we get the screen to update so the comment box is available immediately after you Respond that you are attending, without having to leave the screen? People realise they can comment so leave the page.....

This has occurred on our dev site which is latest version of Jomsocial. (eg you can look in my dev3 site at the events 'Horseracing event' (a non-group event) & 'Event in Public group' and Clare's Test Group)

Thanks a lot!

9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

1. Event summary is displayed in tooltip in Events module: prntscr.com/4nwgz8
Event description is visible on Event page in Event details tab: prntscr.com/4nwh5l and also in backend: prntscr.com/4nwhan

2. It's because there is no notification for "New Event activity" - any post (not comment) is an activity, (event activity, not group activity when you ask about group events). The only notification here is "New Comment on Your Event Activity" = Notification when user receives new comment on his or her event activity.It means that only AUTHOR/OWNER of certain activity will receive notification, NOT OWNER of event.

So It's not a bug but rather lack of certain feature.

3. This is a valid bug and I reported it to our developers.

4. You mean postbox doesn't appear unless group member participate event. I create a bug report for this issue... I think that "only responders can write in events' :NO" should also work in group events.

5. Yes, that's another bug, I'll report it too.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 7 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Dear Michal, I couldn't upload screenshots last night as the Jomsocial site was slow.

Regarding 1. Event Summary: Your screenshot shows the Event Title but not the Event Summary! Here are 3 screenshots showing what I mean. This is a bug.....I have tested it on your demo site as well and the Summary is nowhere!

However, even if Event Summary did show in Events Module, I think it is pretty stupid if it doesn't show in Event Details on Event Page as well? People aren't sure of the difference of what to write in Summary and what to write in Description, so some use one field and some use the other. It isn't clear to them that not everything will display on the Event Page? So PLEASE, when you fix the bug, make the Event Summary appear in Event Details on Event Page....!

Regarding 2. This is absolutely ridiculous!! This may not be a bug, but this is a functionality flaw! Who could logically think that Y should be able to get notification of a comment on their post, but X not be told about a post in their event? How can I get notification of New Event Activity on the list of things Jomsocial will bring out in the next release? Please don't tell me to put a feature request! There must be another way of Jomsocial deciding that a feature is needed - can you add it to a list......?

6. Please can you tell me - is there a way for the Event Admin to see who has responded Not Attending to an Event or Group Event, as they want to see this......., surely this should be logical?

I hope the developer can solve these bugs very quickly as we want to release our dev site as our latest site, but now we have Confirmed bugs.....

Finally, please, when you take screenshots can you use a selection so that you don't show everyone the web address! I think that should be standard practice!

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you very much...

Attachments:
9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

1. Please look closer to Events module here: prntscr.com/4nwgz8 , you'll notice a dark tooltip over first event on the list - it says "Here is summary" :D Events page have description... is there a need to display both summary and description? Summar is just the same as description but in short words.

I'm pretty sure that PO will refuse to add it to event page. But here is a simple hack that allows you to display summary in event details:

Copy this file:

ROOT/components/com_community/templates/default/events.viewevent.php

to:

ROOT/templates/your-template/html/com_community (if you don't have "html" or "com_community" folders, feel free to create them)

edit file and after line 305 add this:

<?php echo CStringHelper::escape($event->summary); ?>

2. I agree with you, so I create a report for PO... we'll see what he answers.

6. Hmmm, this could be done as in database we store information which user choose what action in event. So it should be quite easy query for it... but where to display this information? In module? Could you open a new thread with request? Try to describe there how it should look like and in my spare time I'll think how to implement this as a hack ;)

I'm posting whole print screen because all is important: you can see my local time and date so you'll know when I took printscreen. You can see URL so you'll know which site, what menu item ID or alias, with SEF or not. This si also important for us, users - in most cases crop their printscreens so they remove crucial information e.g URL (so we have to ask about URL or look on site...). So I'll remove printscreen if you request that...

URL in prinscreen is not active, robots can't read it, and also they are not indexed as forum is closed.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Susan
9 years 7 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Ahhh, now we see the Summary if we hover!

The problem is that we have had 2 people post events in the last 24 hours who have put their Description in the Summary Box, and nothing in the Description Box...... They don't realise (and nor did we!) that the summary won't be displayed. So then they are confused/annoyed when no-one can see their Description. 2 people in 24 hours is 2 people too many! Surely the PO should realise that Jomsocial can improve from hearing about functions that the users find hard to use and implementing solutions.....?!!

So thank you very much for your hack to allow us to display Summary in Event Details....

I will create a post for 6, and we are very grateful indeed if you are spending your spare time on it! Very passionate about Jomsocial obviously!

And we will wait to hear the response to our 3 bugs!

Thank you!

9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

Regarding issue no. 4: as this is group related issue, there are too many conditions influencing this setting. So it will be not fixed with hot fix rather changed in next major release.

Regarding issue no. 5: this won't be fixed as post box is loaded through ajax script, so page needs to be reloaded. Bug report was rejected.

9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

HI.

Regarding issue no. 3: please, make safe copy of this file:

ROOT/components/com_community/controllers/system.php

Then upload content of zip package to the same place. Then text if issue persist.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

9 years 1 month ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

Issue no.2 should be fixed in JomSocial 4.
You may test it in our Community.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński