Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Events become "Past" before event start time

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired Socialize Expired

I just upgraded to Jomsocial 3.2.1.3 from 3.2.0.5 (I think this is what I had installed before) on Joomla 2.5.22. I noticed that events are becoming "Past" before the local time reaches the start time for the event. I have the server time zone set to New York and I do have the Daylight savings time set to 0 into JS.

I just created a series of events as follows. It was 7:15am local time.

Test Event 8:00am - 9:00am (tagged as "Past" event at creation).
Test Event 8:00am - 10:00am (tagged as "Past" event at creation).
Test Event 8:00am - 11:00am (tagged as "Past" event at creation).
Test Event 8:00am - 12:00am (Event shows as "Ongoing" at event creation).

To me this looked like JS might be using UTC for time as New York is 5 hours behind UTC I think so I set server to use UTC but that had no effect on the test event statuses.

I faintly recall this was looked at on my server in the past. I did find a module called "LeoClock" installed on my system that I do not remember installing but I have activated it for debugging.

Bob

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Bob,

I can't access your site, got this message

[an error occurred while processing this directive] 

about jomoscial time zone. may be this can help:
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Regards,
Albert

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

I have no idea why you'd get that. I just accessed the site with no problem. If you could give it another try that would be great.

On the timezone, I have the timezone set to off in my JS settings.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Bob,

please try to setup the server time zone to +0 (UTC). your Joomla timezone already correct if using New York.

Regards,
Albert

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

I will do that but I'm a little concerned how this will effect other systems that rely on time and are not part of Jomsocial (like email, crons and the like) as they run based on the server being in the New York timezone. I'll give it a try and see. Everything was working fine until I upgraded to the lastest version of Jomsocial so in my mind, it's a potential bug in the newest version of JS. Setting the server up to UTC +0 doesn't seem like a fix when I didn't need to do that in the past.

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

While I have not had a chance to check other items that are effected by time on the server, I have changed the time to UTC for the server. And here's the result.

Local time is 7:50am. I created a test event from 8:00am until 10am (timezone is turned off in JS config).

When I create the test event, it now correctly shows as "On Going" in the "My Events" menu when I am logged in. HOWEVER, the event does not show anywhere else in the system. If I select "All Events" the event is not shown in the list of events. Event Modules do not list the event either. The only place I can see the event is in the "My Events" menu.

I've turned off all server caches and flushed browser caches to make sure that I wasn't seeing a cached copy of the modules. Unless there is some other cache that I am not aware of, I believe I am looking at a live version of the page and would conclude that there is still broken logic somewhere.

And again, this only occurred when I update to the latest JS. Before then all was good. Any chance one could diff the old timezone logic and see what's changed?

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

And I want to make sure we're on the same page so here are the layers of timezones that I can think of and how they are set.

Server Timezone: UTC (<--This was New York but I changed it to UTC based on note in this thread)
PHP Timezone: New York
Joomla Timezone: New York
Jomsocial: Off

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Bob,

The joomsocial / joomla already having New York time zone. Here the "current" time that I took from google

and here the time at events query

and now I want to know what your MySQL time zone. could you provide me phpmyadmin/cpanel access detail?
SELECT NOW( ) , CURDATE( ) , CURTIME( ) 

FYI: you can put credential information at site info form, by editing your first post at this topic.

Regards,
Albert

Attachments:
9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Not quite sure what that the last post accomplished. Yes, I know that the Joomla Timezone is set to New York. I was letting you know that that is what they were set to.

Let me recap. The current situation.

Events are ending before they start and disappearing from our calendar and events list as they are being marked as a "Past" event. MY CUSTOMERS ARE ASSUMING THE EVENTS ARE BEING CANCELED AND ARE NOT ATTENDING THE EVENTS.

I was asked to set the server time to UTC. I have set my VPS time to UTC at the machine level and left all other timezones set to New York.

While I have not had a chance to check other items that are effected by time on the server, I have changed the time to UTC for the server. And here's the result.

Local time is 7:50am. I created a test event from 8:00am until 10am (timezone is turned off in JS config).

When I create the test event, it now correctly shows as "On Going" in the "My Events" menu when I am logged in. HOWEVER, the event does not show anywhere else in the system. If I select "All Events" the event is not shown in the list of events. Event Modules do not list the event either. The only place I can see the event is when I am logged in and go to My Events.

This implies to me that the time logic is different for different parts of Jomsocial as modules and core JS functions are getting a different answer on whether the event is future, current or past.

And again, I will say that in 3.0.5 I did not have this issue. It was only when I upgraded to the newest version of Jomsocial.

In terms of setting my server information in the posting, I did that when I originally opened this topic last week. I'll go do it again.

9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

fyi- I just went to edit my access information in the first posting of this thread as requested and all the information needed for JS support was already there.

9 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Bob,

I cant replicate your issue. I created test event, and I can see it at All events, My events, and in the module. do I missing something here?

could you provide me the screenshoot about this issue, to make me more clear.

FYI: I created that events using admin account. and has been deleted.

the time logic are same at All events, My events, and in the module.

Regards,
Albert

Attachments:
9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Local time was right around 7:00am New York. I created an event to start at 8am and a 2nd event to start at 7:30am. After creating the event I cleared my Chrome cache and Joomla caches. The following are the screen shots from what I get.

First is the My Event tab logged in as Admin. Here you will see the 2 events but nothing in the modules.

2nd is the Events tab logged in as Admin. Here you will not see the 2 events anywhere.

For #3, I logged out of Admin. JS Home Page shows the 2 events were created in the activity stream but there is nothing in the modules.

For #4, not logged in I went to the events page. No sign of the events.

I hope the images are viewable for you. I just did this in Chrome. I'll try Firefox and safari and see if there are similar results.
Bob

Attachments:
9 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Additional testing has shown that this seems to be only effect events that are created with a start time within an hour of current time. As this is not a realistic situation (for me anyways), I'm going to mark this as Fixed.

I've set the server to UTC and left all other timezones set to New York.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński