Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Private Messages issue in JomSocial v4.5

6 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I have the following issue. Messages used to work normally in v3.2.1.4. They used to load fast and we had a preview of them.

Now this is what happens:
1)Loading messages takes almost half a minute.
2)There is a "2 unread messages" icon stuck there while I don't have any unread messages.
3)There is no preview in messages. It appears as blank.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=69y0Y1kTLdk

Note that my site has 45.000 registered users and some thousands of messages. I was always in a dedicated server.
Either way, before the upgrade it was loading much faster than it is now and I didn't have all these issues.

Can you give an ETA on when to fix them? Currently, I use a levelling system and based in JomSocial points, a level indicator shows in user profiles among with a progress bar. When I upgrade JomSocial my developer has to re-import this system every time, so it's a double cost for me. Can you please fix those in the next version so that I can upgrade once? Otherwise I will have to wait.

6 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Manos.

Thank you for contacting us.
After upgrade you should run cron job to make sure that older messages are converted to new chat.
You may also purge old messages to avoid conversions and load of old messages.

As you know you do not use latest version of JomSocial. You're using 4.3. while latest version is 4.5.
Version 4.3.4 has known bug so when user creates a new chat message, then send it, and after that delete it, notifications lingers on recipient toolbar.
Issue was reported here: www.jomsocial.com/forum/profile-universa...-notification#181818
Issue is fixed in latest version so the best option will be to upgrade to latest version.

You've mentioned that you have some customizations on your site. Thta's why I'm surprised why you decided to upgrade to 4.3.4 and stop instead to upgrade to most recent version available when you started upgrade. That version was 4.5...

Also any customizations should be made in such a way that they do not collide with upgrades (so not in core but using plugins or overrides). In other case you'll be always behind recent version and each upgrade will cost you to apply customizations again and again.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
6 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I use JomSocial v4.5
I have upgraded this morning and these bugs already exist.

How do I run the cron job? Please give detailed instructions.

6 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Manos.

Fix will prevent of new occurrences of this issue. So those two old needs to be cleared in database.
Please:

1. Edit your first post.
2. Click switch below main text field: prntscr.com/fk3hdg
3. Provide your site details: backend URL, admin credentials and FTP: prntscr.com/fk3hwz
4. Let us know that you provided credentials by posting in the same thread.

I will take a look.

You should have cron job configured on your site:. If you don't have it already, this documentation should help you: bit.ly/10OzfPN

You may also run it manually here: Backend -> Components -> JomSocial -> Monitor -> Mail queue -> Execute cron (button upper right).

If that won't help, please, report back and we'll investigate.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

6 years 3 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Hello, I have edited the first post.

Iam not sure if I have Cron Job. Please check and do the appropriate changes.

Thank you.

6 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Manos.

Thank you. I fixed that. Now as you have JomSocial 4.5 it shouldn't happen anymore.

I've checked your server settings and yes, you have cron job configured.

Also I reviewed your database. It seems like import was done twice. First time it was interrupted... and it ran over again.
That's why you have duplicated some chats.

I noticed that all 3 chat tables have a lot of records: prntscr.com/hpye4q
Nearly half of them are duplicated.
There is no option to remove them manually... so my suggestion is to drop all records there.
Consider to announce chat wipe at some point and just drop this data... There are some conversation from 2012. I understand that you may keep some chats for the record, but dropping this will make chat smoother... and you'll get rid of those duplicates.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Manos Gryparis
6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Ok thanks. Now look at this issue. I don't know if this happened after your last changes but look.

When a user sends me a message, and then I reply they get my message. But when they reply back to me (at their 2nd messages) I receive squared. This has happened 2 times.

Look at this screenshot:

Also this is the older message which has the same issue. Why does it say "Send by Giannis and Spyros"? Why 2 people? I only chat with 1 person here. There is an automated message that is being "stuck" and seems to be send by more than 1 people which I can't explain at all.

Please if this is a well known bug do not upgrade JomSocial . Provide a fix instead and put it in the next version if you want. I can't upgrade anymore as I have spent a whole wage in my developer fixing the issues that occured + putting the xp/levelling system in our profiles. So only fix the bug at this point.

Thank you.

Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Manos.

Such an issue is reported for the first time and seems to be rather your site specific issue.
I assign developer to investigate and fix this issue.
I'll update you ASAP.

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Manos.

Please, read carefully again.
It's not "Send by Giannis and Spyros".
But "Seen by Giannis and Spyros".
Conversation is just between two users - not 3.
I need access to user account that has this issue... we've checked on test account but we can't replicate it there.

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Manos.

I talked about this issue with our developer. It was present in 4.2.
So it seems your system cached JomSocial files before upgrade to 4.5.
Please, clear Joomla! cache and issue should be gone.

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I have cleared cache and upgraded to JomSocial v4.5. The issue with the squares in messages is solved.

Now let's go to 2 very important issues:
1)The message takes almost 1 minute to load ! You can check my private messages with the account "Manos" to see by yourself. Before the upgrade, with the old comment system it was taking only 5 seconds!
2)When we click the Messages notifications tab, we don't see a preview of the message. You might declare that "This is a chat" but since it takes 1 minute to load, then no, it's not a chat. It's a messages module which should load with the speed of other social media. And if it doesn't load by that speed then you need to put the preview of the private messages back, as this was a functionality which was working.

Our users are complaining about your new comment system. How is it possible to put the old comment system back? Please allow this in Settings. The loading is so big right now that users are leaving our site!

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Manos Gryparis, I suggest you to cleare database chat's tables.
It will remove all private messages, but site will works faster.

Sorry for my English
6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hi Manos
I checked your site and logged in with the user details you shared but it does not have an issue in loading.
Please edit your first and submit the account details on which you have slow message load issue,
I will check it with the developer on priory basis.

Regards

6 years 2 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Ok I have updated the post and I have the account details at the end of the password info.

Thank you.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński