Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

Too large photos in JS Members tooltips

6 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Mar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Expired

There is a problem with JS Members thumbnails. Instead of little photos in tooltips large cover photos are displayed in full resolution.
You can see it in the attached screenshot.
This is where those large photos are loaded: <div class="joms-hcard__cover">.
How can I change it? The photos are too large and heavy.
Regards
Mar

Attachments:
6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:

HI, Mar.

Thank you for contacting us.
Hoover card uses cover image, but it's scaled down and compressed.
I tested this on my test site. Original image was 3.5 MB and 4608x3072.
After upload it become 90kB and 1140x760.
If in modern Internet that's too heavy... the I don't know what "light" will be :)

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
6 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Mar
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Expired

Let me show you what the consequences of this kind of approach are in one tiny case: Let's suppose that every day within no more than 10 days 100 people open the site with 12 members. The result is 7 MB (compressed thumbnails) to 154 MB (cover photos). Or imagine there are only 500 people every day within the period of one year. It gives 1,2 TB (compressed thumbs) to 24,6 TB. It means that on the site there are 23,4 totally redundant TB of transfer.
As for your answer, let me check if I understood well: you are talking about the uploading moment, I guess. But the aforementioned example is about the cover photo which is not converted into a thumbnail, which, by the way, functions well in the case of JS photos. Could you transfer (or however you do it) those code functions from JS Photos to user tooltips we are talking about, please? We would really appreciate it.

Attachments:
6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:

Cześć Mar.

You're wrong :) First of all this image is used anyway on profile page, so if you visit it at leas once - you already have this image in browser cache. Compression ration of cover image is quite good 90kB against 3.5MB. So no, I'm not talking about initial upload but displaying that cover when you check the hover card or profile. I really don't know where you get your numbers but sorry, they are not realistic in the case of tested file.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

6 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Mar
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

So before we check what you've just said, let's get one thing clear: the size of the cover photo on the mainpage is 154 kB (in the aforementioned example) and the address of that file is identical to that of the file loaded to the tooltip. It's how we see it: in tooltips, there are cover photos instead of thumbnails. We've searched through the folder and there are no thumbnails at all, only more or less 154 kB files. Where can we find those thumbnails ? We attached to your attention a file with not more than 8 kB as an example, so you cannot claim that our numbers are wrong.
So the basic question is: Where can thumbnails be found?
As for the browser cache, we have to clean it cause otherwise there are problems with user access to Guru (as you surely know).

6 years 4 months ago
Licenses:

Cześć Mar.

Yes, hoover card use cover not a thumbnail.
But I'm telling you that photos are converted.
This is original: prntscr.com/hjurih
This is after conversion: prntscr.com/hjusmv
soc.wstylu.com/images/cover/profile/47/a...7d74fb94891c0428.jpg
So that's still not much.

You mistake browser cache with Joomla! cache. The second one should be disabled. The first one works without your knowledge. So actually image is loaded only once to your device and then loaded from it... that's why your numbers are wrong.

This is per design and it wont' be rather changed.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński