Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Activity Content Length being ignored

10 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Guys,

It appears that the 'Activity Content Length' is being ignored by the front-end system in our install.

It was set to 150 by default, but lowering or raising this doesn't seem to have any effect on the front-end activity feed, as the entire post is continually shown.

Is this not working 'as intended' or have I misunderstood the purpose of this variable?

Thanks!

Todd

10 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hi Todd

This setting is mostly used for attachments or activity content, such are (but not limited to) video descriptions for example.
If you want to limit the number of characters in the posts that people send as status updates, please use Character Limit option from Configuration in Site pane.

Thanks

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When you think you found the bug, try to replicate it on a fresh Joomla.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Sanisa,

Thank you for your reply.

Limiting the amount of text someone can type into their activity is not actually what we want to do and would be counter productive to the network we're attempting to build with JomSocial.

I guess we'll just have to put up with huge updates in the activities feed

C'est la vie, and far from ideal, but thanks again for quick your response.

Todd

10 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Active GURU Active Publisher Active AdAgency Active iSEO Active Socialize Active

Hi Todd

Im sorry but i dont really follow you on this.
On first post you said that activity content limit is being ignored, which is not true. I have just tried to post video with very long description and on stream, it gots trimmed to 150 chars.

In next reply, you said you dont want to do such thing?
Then, if ifirst option is ignored, which is not, but lets say it is, then where is the problem?
As for status character limit, you can simply put some crazy number like 10 billion - no need to hack anything

Im a bit confused here.
Can you please explain what exactly do you need? Maybe posting some screenshots too?

- Don't say feature not working. Instead, explain what you tried and what was the outcome.
- When looking for support always provide temporary Super Administrative access to your site. We will ask for it anyway.
- Help yourself and read documentation which can give you answers to almost all questions you may have
10 years 4 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Sinisa,

Thanks for your continued assistance with this. It is appreciated.

My query was specifically regarding the length of just a standard, text based post to someone's activity stream. I understand now that the "Activity Content Length" flag only controls such things as video descriptions, etc. My question is: Shouldn't this also apply to regular text posts?

Below is an example of what I mean. This is the main activity feed on the home page of our network. You can see that at full size, screenshot is over 3000 pixels tall, yet only displays three or four posts. THESE are what we would like to have truncated with a 'see more' or 'read more' link to expose the rest of the text:

Does that make sense? Sorry I was confusing in my previous post. We WANT people to be able to post long updates. We would just like the ability to have the system truncate these at a certain point and include a link for the viewer to read more.

:)

Thanks again!!

Todd

Attachments:
10 years 3 months ago
Licenses:

Hi Todd

I get it now, however, this is not possible with curent design of JomSocial activity streams as texts that are manually written in the forms are stored in the database as they are.
The only solution would be to modify the templates and include the hack for truncating those texts before they are get displayed, but that would involve hacking a lot of files.

On a side note, the screenshot you have posted shows area that should be controlled with Character Limit option, making the title of this thread completely irrelevant :) but thats not really important at the moment :)

Cheers

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński