Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated

JomSocial Developer License

9 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Stuart Steedman
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi there,

I'm about to embark on developing a large special-interest social network for an overseas client, and feel that the Developer edition is probably the way to go, so that I have complete control.

However, I am reluctant to fork out the $500 if there is a new version around the corner. Some questions then:

* How easy will it be to upgrade from the current version to the new 4.0
* Do I have to pay if I buy the current version now, and the new version appears soon?
* Will add-ons (specifically, JomSocial Profile Types) support 4.0

Many thanks,

Stuart

9 years 1 month ago
Licenses:

Hi, Stuart Steedman.

1. It should be quite easy. It will be enough to uninstall previous version (data will stay in database untouched) allong with all related extensions and install new one. Database upgrade will be made upon install. Of course if you

2. When you buy license you start a subscription that is valid for 6 months. During that time, if new version (or upgrade/patch) is released - you'll have free access to it. but if, lets say, your subscription ends certain day and next day we release new version - you'll be not able to download it unless you renew your subscription.

3. It's responsibility of 3rd party developers to upgrade their app to work with latest version. I can't say how soon after release they will do it - but usually they do it quite fast. So yes, sooner or later addons will support JomSocial 4.0.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 1 month ago
    Topic Author
  • Stuart Steedman
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Will JomSocial be released within 6 months?

Also, If I buy a lesser package (e.g., the Professional), can I upgrade later without buying an entire new license? It's just that, right now, I'm not sure what I do and do not need ... that will become apparent once development commences.

Regards,

Stuart

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński