Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Confused with the Templates in JomSocial and default Joomla

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I have installed in JS v4.0.9 to the Joomla. Having the Joomla setup by SiteGround hosting services, it include in many other Joomla templates.

After my manual installation which is successful (no error message). When I open my JS new site, it seems to be overlapping with one of the Joomla template. I try searching your support forum but does not have any thing on this and the information it provides left me more confused.

I did not purchase Socialize template which I regretted, but I am also stuck with default JS template which is overlapping with the current Joomla template - protostar. I try tweaking around with that template but with little results.
I don't see what I can do with the Component>Jomsocial>Configuration>Template as has no other functions.

Now, I am not too sure if I got the whole installation done correctly or if there is bug in the version I installed.

Please advise.

Attachments:
8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Boon Toh .

I'll try to explain. Unfortunately two things have the same names but are different... what may confuse users.
Templates like Protostar or Socialize are JOOMLA templates and style whole Joomla! site. No site created on Joomla! can exist without a template.

Template mentioned in JomSocial is not a Joomla! template. It's a set of layout files that style ONLY layout of jomSocial. You may ude default JomSocial layout and you don't have to install any other JS templates.

So:

Joomla! template ≠ JomSocial template.

If you want to style your whole Joomla! site you need Joomla! template.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,
I understand that the two are different in nature as template has changed to module in the latest JS version.

However, there seems to be a bug in the JS 4.0.9 I installed earlier. With the default installation, I cannot see the configuration in the template in JS. Refer to the screenshot I attached earlier. Since I have not used JS before, can you assist by login in to my Joomla site and check on my JS component especially the Template. It looks like it is not working.

It would be great if I can have the site to look like Jomsocial default UI. Can you help me solve this.

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi.

No, your site is fine. Take look at mine: prntscr.com/8917k8
There are no additional settings as we implemented Theme Designer. Also changes done in files in JS template would be overwritten during upgrade.

What do you mean by "Jomsocial default UI"? Our main site jomscoial.com or our demo site demo.jomsocial.com?

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi,

Ok, it looks the same. I supposed the lack of proper documentation confuses me. I look into the some of the videos, it looks different - simply too many version.

On the UI, I would like something like demo.jomsocial.com. Now I cannot get the landing screen to load properly. I didn't tweak anything on the permission, wonder what did I do.

Can you do me one favor. I just need my site to look like the demo site but with my logo to start with. Can you do a troubleshoot for me on that. Just tweak it back for me.

Thanks a million!

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Boon Toh.

demo.jomsocial.com uses Socialize template... so if you want the same look, you'll need to purchase Socialize template and configure it in the same manner.

You've set Profile from JomSocial toolbar as your default page. But any person that visits your site is a guest... so profile CAN'T be displayed. I changed default start page and voila!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Boon Toh
8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi,
Thanks for the help earlier.

I have few questions.

1. Is Frontpage the default landing page for Jomsocial? If I would like to create my own landing page using another template, would that be possible?

2. I would like to remove the Activity stream from the Frontpage. How do I do that. I noticed my in my module manager, the JS Activity Stream is not enabled. How come it is showing in all pages.

3. Is there another activity stream module? I get to figure out most of the modules, some I am still exploring to find out what is what. Is there a proper documentation to help me on that? I have read the template documentation, unfortunately it confuses me more. Maybe it is because I started from V.4 and some of the changes from previous version is mixing up the information I am reading.

Thanks ahead.

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Boon Toh.

Forum golden rule is: open NEW thread for your NEW issue. One issue = ONE thread.
Please, don't merge few issues/request/questions in one thread as it's hard for us to track it as they are (in most cases irrelevant to thread subject) and for users to search right answer if they have similar issue.

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński