Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

CronJob: PHP or ASP Script

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Jim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

My service provider uses CRON, but to run it, it must be a script in PHP or ASP.

Would you have one for me to run? I could not find anything so far on your website. Here are the instructions provided by my provider (Italicized below):

Jim,

Based on your reply here it is likely you will have to use the documentation provided there as well as the documentation that was provided to you from Jomsocial to create a Perl script to run the PHP script through the CRON.

Running PHP And ASP Scripts Through Crontab
Please follow the steps below to schedule automatic execution of a script written in PHP or ASP:
1) Create the following file and save it as cron.pl or another name with a .pl extension:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use LWP::Simple;
$doc = get(' www.YOURWEBSITE.com/scriptname.php ');
print "Content-type: text/htmlnn";
print $doc;

Make sure to replace scriptname.php with the actual name of your PHP or ASP script.

2) Upload the newly created Perl script (cron.pl, etc..) into a directory of your choice and give it chmod 755 permissions.

3) Create an entry in your cron file above with the path to your Perl script above with the word perl in front of the path, for example:

30 * * * * /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/4admin/apache/vhosts/yourwebsite.com/httpdocs/cron.pl

When crontab runs your Perl redirect script, it will make an HTTP connection to the actual PHP or ASP file, thus executing it.

Please feel free to contact us again at any time if you need additional assistance. Thank you for contacting us.

I know how to set up the CRON job on my end, it is the PHP/ASP script that I need help with.

Thank you.

9 years 2 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Jim,

To avoid the confusing I suggest you use the 3rd party cron service, it will be easier than cron job on your server.. Please check this www.easycron.com/ and dont forget to read this cron doc documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Setting_Up_Cron_Job

thank you

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Jim
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Why would I need to use cron for Jomsocial? if it is something I don't really need, than I won't set it up. Is it required?

Thank you.

9 years 2 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Yes its required, because the mail not if, video converting and Amazon transfer will be executed via cronjob

9 years 2 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Jim
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

So if I don't do video or Amazon than I should be safe? You mentioned mail. What mail would be impacted?

9 years 2 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
Licenses:

I suggest you enable it, because it will be used for email notif, so if you commented to userA's status, that userA will get email notif, and that email notif will be executed from cronjob

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński