Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Joomla 3.3.6

9 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Clint
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I updgraded to joomla 3.3.6 and now it doesn't work. I reinstalled through the ijoomla installer. Suggestions.

9 years 4 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Clint,

You say you upgraded Joomla 3.3.6 but you say you did it from the ijoomla installer? where you installing Joomla or jomsocial? either way the white screen is simply a friendly screen that hides the error. To see what is causing the fault you need to turn on error reporting in Joomla to see if the error is Joomla or another component. Here is a link to explain how to show the error. once the error is showing, if it relates to Jomsocial please reply and let us know what it is.

www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/white-screen-of-death/

9 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Clint
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

The problem is when I login to my back end all I get is the white screen. I cannot turn on error reporting and such

9 years 4 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Clint,

Yes that's correct and what i am referring to. The white screen is hiding the error. To see the error you need to enable error reporting. Because you cannot enable it from admin then you would need to enable it using option 3 in the link i gave you.

Option #3. Edit PHP.ini file

The PHP.ini file is a vitally important file that controls many of your server's settings. If you don't know where it is, use this tutorial to find it.

We recommend that you change these two settings:

Set Display error to On:
display_errors = On
Set error reporting:
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT

Were you upgrading Joomla when this happened?

9 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Clint
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

I cannot locate the file. I'm on a host gator server do use the go daddy instructions?

9 years 4 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Clint,

You can change Joomla error reporting directly in the configuration.php file in your site root via ftp set it to maximum like this line

public $error_reporting = 'maximum';

Sometimes this is enough to show the error but if not then then only other way is in the php.ini file

If the php.ini file is not in your web folder then you would need to contact the hosting company and tell them you need to edit your php.ini file. The only way we can see what the error is is to enable error reporting and this is done in that file

9 years 4 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Clint
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Active

Thanks. Had to create the php.ini file.....changed the configuration file. I now get the error. The error is with another component that has terrible support.

9 years 4 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Clint,

Now you can see the error the fastest way to get you back online is to disable that plugin, this then gets you back online and you can deal with the fault

If you login to your cpanel and in phpmyadmin open the database for your site find the #__extensions table. In that table you will see the extension com_acctexp in the enabled column change the 1 to a 0 which will disable the component and let you move on and access Joomla admin.

As always backup before you do anything and be very careful what you do in the database. if you are not sure then you should ask a developer for help

let me know how you get on

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński