Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Converting Joomla users to JomSocial/Members not showing

9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Never used Jomsocial before - I have a long history with CB and opted to go with Jomsocial based upon recommendations, but am finding it quite primitive in some areas as far as integration with Joomla. I have read what documentation I can find, and none answers these questions I have. Three major questions:

1) I have an existing 4,000 member site. I NEED to be able to convert (in a batch somehow) all existing members to a single group in Jomsocial. This does not seem possible. The one reference I could find in your forum where someone else needed the same thing pointed to plugins that do not do this. Ideas??
2) I am able to get the existing members to "show" in the "Monitor > Members" area, and assign them to a group; however those members are still unable to login once added to the group.
3) In the dashboard, no matter how many members I add to my group, there are "0" members listed, though they show up in the group if I check.

Any idea how to make this easier if you have existing members?? I cannot ask 4,000 people to go login as I saw suggested somewhere else. This system was created with generic emails that go nowhere, so I cannot force them to come login. I need to be able to do this myself, either via Joomla backend or through the db. Truthfully, it should be clearly outlined that existing users cannot be used - it probably would have influenced mine and my clients' decision to use this if it was going to mean re-keying 4,000 members in who cannot reply to an email to "confirm".

Thank you for insight.

Note that the domain information I'm submitting below is a test server, so differs slightly from the submitted live site for support. Live site is an old version of Joomla that we're replacing.

9 years 7 months ago
  • Dimas Tekad Santosa
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

HI Susan,

you need create the code for the sycn joomla and jomsocial user, but this is really tricky, we cant help you too much, you need ask the 3d party dev for this one www.jomsocial.com/jomsocial-developers

thank you

9 years 7 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I cannot believe that this cannot be done without hiring an outside developer. This is an elementary action to be able to integrate fully with existing members and and I believe your site is misleading in that regard, specifically that each individual member in an existing site must be individually assigned is not even reasonable. I believe I was duped and would like to remove this from my site and would like a refund.

I have bought several ijoomla products in the past and never encountered such issues with the software. I am very disappointed.

Thank you.

9 years 7 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Susan,

I think there may be a misunderstanding with the answer Dimas gave you but if not then we are certainly not trying to trick or confuse our customers. If a refund is what you would like then i will do that for you. I would much rather resolve the issue though.

The first question and the most important one is. Are you wanting Joomla users to be Jomsocial users? if this is the case then the answer is they are. Unlike CB Jomsocial sits on top of the joomla users so if you are a registered Joomla user then you are also a registered Jomoscial user.

What causes confusion is the filter that shows Joomla users and jomsocial users in admin

if you have 4000K users in joomla then it will show 0 jomsocial users. There is a small hack that will change this and the link to it is here documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Alterin...Social_Members_Count we are also happy to make the change for you.

If you are referring to CB users that are not in the joomla user table then Dimas's answer is correct and that would require a custom script to import them all. Please let me know if my solution is the answer to your question.

Attachments:
9 years 6 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello and thank you for answering. I have 4,000 existing members - not CB. I mentioned CB because it fully integrates with existing members, which is what I interpreted your pre-sales questions to mean when you stated that existing users are fully members of jomsocial. My question was related to adding existing members to groups within Jomsocial in order to manage them. When I create a jomsocial group, I have to individually add all 4000 members to a group. This is far too tedious and time-consuming and I should not have to hire someone to create a script for that. It makes no sense that it cannot be done by selecting many members and adding them to a group in a batch. I did a number of searches on this after I found this limitation and found that there are others with the same needs that have been up against the same wall, many of whom were directed to get a custom solution. I think that's unreasonable, since we're paying a pretty decent price for the software.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to use this component on this site due to the limitations as I've outlined them. I don't want to have to hack or hire someone. I need the software to do what I thought it would, based upon what I read on your site, which was manage members in groups, (EXISTING Joomla members), without spending an entire weekend assigning them to groups one at a time, or hacking code that will get overwritten when the component is upgraded in order to show counts. Thanks.

9 years 6 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Susan,

If you are wanting to add all 4000 users to 1 group then a small SQL script would do that, if you are wanting to add user A ,B, F,J to groups 1,6,4,2 and then the next selection and so on. The only way would be to write a new SQL script for each group/batch you want to add. I do understand that it would be great if there was something that could do this automatically but our product doesn't do this out of the box. You can manage existing Joomla users in Jomsocial groups but it is not an automated process.

9 years 6 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Ok, I'm horribly frustrated with this component. I cannot uninstall it without creating a list of php errors upon attempts to login after uninstall (using Joomla uninstall extensions). I would appreciate a refund as you said above you would give and a way to uninstall without breaking my site.

Thank you.

9 years 6 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been happy with the product. I will pass this post onto our billing department for a refund. In regards to uninstalling the product if you search for "community" in manage extensions and remove everything it finds that is all that is required. What you are describing sounds like a plugin is still enabled or has not been uninstalled.

9 years 6 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

I uninstalled the component easily, but the plugins remain. When I remove them, I cannot log in as it results in errors (and you're right, it is trying to redirect to jomsocial, which is not functional anymore), nor can any users. I have removed jomsocial and then restored the site several times in the process to try to figure out what's causing the issue. I have disabled every plugin related to "community" and "jomsocial". If I leave them, the component is gone, but the site is still functional. I'd rather not have the residual plugins sitting there.

9 years 6 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Susan

Search for "community" and remove all that it finds then search for "jomsocial" and remove all it finds if you do those 2 searches and remove all that are found there will be nothing left of our component, plugins/ modules. The problem you keep describing sounds like the "User - Jomsocial User" plugin is still installed and active, search for it and disable the plugin then uninstall it.

Without site access there is not much more i can do to help i'm sorry

Our billing person will contact you shortly regarding the refund

9 years 6 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hello, ok I still have this problem. I uninstalled Jomsocial via the extensions manager. ALL of the modules and plugins remain. When I remove them all (and they are all disabled prior to removal), the login is disabled and results in errors. Clearly something is amiss that the component uninstall only removes the component and not the other residual modules and plugins. I have no idea how to fix this without a clean reinstall and having to move all of my data, including jdownloads hundreds of files. I am very discouraged. :-( NOTE: As the superadmin I can login; registered users cannot.

I did send you guys site access again just did below as well.

Thank you.

9 years 6 months ago
  • Ricardo
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Susan,

We already processed a refund of your purchase. If you will still using the extension please purchase it again to get access to updates and support.

Best regards,

9 years 6 months ago
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Yep, I have the refund and appreciate it. HOWEVER, since well before that refund, I have asked for help REMOVING this component from the site, WITHOUT breaking the site. The uninstall function is BROKEN and leaves all of the modules and plugins, which when removed afterwards manually BREAKS THE SITE, whether or not they are disabled prior to removal. I have repeatedly asked for assistance with this and should NOT have to pay to get it out without damaging the site. As I said previously, I have purchased several extensions from ijoomla over the years and have referred many purchasers, never having had such a horrible experience. Your extension and its dysfunctional uninstall mechanism has caused me many hours trying to get it all out. I now have to start the site from scratch to rid it of your component's remnants. I will not buy an extension from you again.

9 years 6 months ago
  • Ricardo
  • Visitor
Licenses:

Hi Susan,

You can uninstall the extension as any other regular J! extension. If you had a problem doing this reinstall it and try again. If the problem persists you can delete the files manually and remove the database tables. If you don't know how to do that let us know.

Best regards,

Moderators: Piotr Garasiński